You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell by the numbers

Hi guys,

I know when I see something like Newell #515 that the 515 means this is the 515th coach built. What other information is known from that number about that coach?

I was reading earlier about a Newell coach that is being sold by LazyDays. It's a 2002 450 (not sure what that number means HP, coach# etc) listed for $230,799. I was amazed at the amount of information folks on the forum know about it.

Do they know about this coach by seeing it or do you get a lot of information known by the coach number?

I’m really looking forward to finding more about this.

Harry

hi harry,

michael day is the master of coach numbers and what features are in what years. i know he will chime in.

the coach number is in later years the number of coaches made, but in the 2002 vintage, they didnt start numbering them until 1990 if i recall.

the 450 likely referrs to the length. 45'0". the vin number will have the length in it in the 1990 and later coaches. for instance mine is a 45'8" and it has 458 in the vin. mine is a 2002 as well and i suspect the one you are looking at is a 45'8" too.

the 2002's amost entirely had a 500 hp detroit series 60 in it.

it is a small world and many of the folks on the forum have had multiple newells, or have looked at a lot of them or both. so it is very often someone knows a bit about a particular coach that is for sale.

that 2002 you are referring to will have a coach number in the low to mid 600's. mine is coach 608 and was one of the first 2002's.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looking at the coach you mentioned it is a 1-1/2 bath but there is no bed in the rear lounge. Likely was built as an entertainer coach. Tom's coach was like this when he bought it and he added a bed in the rear lounge. He can give you a ton of info on this process.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Hi guys and thanks for your comments. I don't have an interest in that specific coach, I only referenced it because it was part of the conversation being held here on the forum. My real interest is to find if there is more information behind the coach numbers.

With Newell being all custom, it isn't like you can look and say "oh yah, thats a 2014 American Eagle #45T". So you know its a 45' bath and a half and what the standard equipment is and also a good idea of the optional equipment as well. So my point is its a known quantity and that is not true of the custom made Newell.

Actually I misspoke because Newell does build some "Non customer Build" coaches each year for the folks not wanting to take the 6 months to have a couch built to their specifications. But most are custom build and is most likely what I will buy.

So can I find out whats in a "custom built coach" by coach # or any other system?

Thanks again,

Harry

the coach number will only tell you the model year and length of the coach. micheal has a list of what major things were introduced in what years.

other than that, the build sheet (which alot of folks have or sometimes you can get from newell) can tell you what is in the coach. even that is not entirely accurate as changes could have been made with no change orders included with the original build sheet.

best thing is to actually look at it. and better yet, look at it with someone who knows them or do it with them on the phone.

and post lots of questions on this forum.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Here's a few observations when looking at coaches. The one at LazyDays has a raised roof in the rear half giving about 6" more headroom. It has basement a/c's, these are no longer made but Newell has found replacement compressors (I had one replaced last year) and other parts. They still work very good but roof a/c's are more easily replaced. It has the newer headlights but some older coaches have had theirs upgraded. Better light output and looks more modern. It has the Girard power main awning which are very nice. Can't tell with this one but if you find one with the 365 front tire upgrade it's a great feature.
Really don't know if the vin# will tell you more than Tom already said. Michael Day may be able to give you some more info. Good luck in your search.

If you find one you're interested in get the coach number and call Newell. They may give you specific info on the features of that coach. And also whatever maintenance records they have.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Larry, Tom has hit the nail on the head (Coach 450 is a 1997 model). I believe the 2002 coach at LazyDays is #631. It is 45'8" long, triple slide, powered by a Detroit Diesel Series 60 and would have an Allison 6 speed automatic transmission. It was a NASCAR hospitality coach and has 265,000 miles on it with 17,000 hours on generator. There are more and larger photos at http://bus-stuff.com/2002Newell_Lazyd425.html

Based on the photos, it needs quite a bit of TLC to bring her back. Tom can give you an idea of the effort it takes to convert a rear lounge to a rear bedroom although he was working with a flat floor slide rather than double raised floor slides in the back.

The information available from the VIN of a 1990 or newer Newell is the coach #, the year model and the length.

Newell Coach number History:
Newell began numbering their coaches starting with #1 in 1983. Prior to that time, 384 Newells had been built but the new accounting system started at #1. From 1983 through 1989, the coach # is likely located on the back of some of the panels in the coach or on the inside of the engine compartment doors although it is not included in the VIN. In 1990, the last three digits of the VIN became the coach number (beginning with #214). In 2007, to account for those first 384 unnumbered coaches, Newell skipped from coach #816 to coach #1200. There is really not a coach number for Newells prior to 1983. There was no coach #666 and no coaches #1300-1399.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com