You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How does "Auto Fill" work?

My coach has two fresh water fill inlets on the street side. One is up high on the left and one low on the right. I have been using the simple one which is up high and fills the tank from the top. It takes awhile to fill the tank and and I frequently forget that it is being filled, thereby flooding wherever I am with the overflow on the curb side. The auto fill should help me overcome these senior moments. It seems to be associated with filling the tank from the lower inlet. Now I am lost. I assume the pumps are turned off, the valve at the bottom of the tank which supplies the pumps should be closed allowing the street water to go through the pump lines. If the two steps are correct, does the auto fill close the valve going into the top of the tank? Help please.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

i replaced the autofill solenoid valve on mine. if you lok, there is a sensor on the side of the tank. the autofill should shut off when it hits that sensor. problem is once in a while the valve sticks on.

but, ideally, if you have the water hooked up at the street like normal (into the regulator), when you want to fill, just flip the autofill switch on and it will fill the tank and shut off. then i would shut the switch off.

give it a try

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom is right it will shut off when full, mine will leak after full because my shut off is right at the top of the tank and when the temp rises during the day it will let water go out the overflow

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

btw, i know how it works and i did fix mine to work but i do not use it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Chester

The way it was explained to me is that the hose is connected to the auto fill when it us in it will fill the tank to 90%. Then city water will fill the tank and water will come out of overflow until you shut it down.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Thanks guys, and this next question may be why Doug's is overfilling even when the switch turns itself off. I did a search on this and the old forum, but I did not find the following to be discussed as to the auto fill. It seems to me that the valve at the bottom of the tank in the line that supplies water from the tank to the pumps has to be closed or the city water will continue to fill the tank from the bottom even against the water pressure from a full tank unless this valve is closed. For the next week, I am at a place where I do not have dump service and I want to keep the available water in balance with the sewer level. A week from tomorrow I will test to see if closing this valve stops the overflow. Any thoughts?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

cleaning out the calcium inside the membrane of the auto water fill valve cures all ills, then relocate it's position upside down to prevent any intrusion of particles to the membrane. Always return the membrane to it's original position and side in the valve and ALWAYS turn your pump OFF when hooked to City water source and Auto filling or you will create pressure equal to your city source (30lbs to over 100lbs) and the 65 lbs the Headhunter pushes and that's not good for anyones plumbing..

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

My auto fill turns off at 90% and when I connect to the separate city water connection it will over flo the rank. You can leave the auto fill on and will will keep the tank filled to 90% all the time.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

It finally stopped raining enough here in Denver that I could test my Auto Fill water valve. As soon as the solenoid is turned on, the pump starts up and both shut off when full, but there is some excess overflow. I tried again with the valve closed at the bottom of the tank that normally supplies water to the pumps. This time both shut off when full, but no overflow. With the valve open, I assume the city water pressure is enough to add more water against the pressure from the weight of water in the tank.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Isn't the reason for auto-fill is to allow use of your on-board pump in campgrounds with low pressure while still connected to shore water? That way, you have high-pressure for showers and the tank refills when the sensor detects the tank level dropping?

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'01 Monaco Exec 515 Cummins ISM
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA