You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bad trip

Left a week ago Friday for Grand Canyon. Going great till 3 hours from flagstaff stacker trailer blows the airline and the air suspension on it deflates and we have to pull over . As we are fixing that with a new hose, the generator overheats , the blower fan has gone out, limp the last 3 hours to Williams az with no ac , outside temp 101.. Get to williams sat night plug in, goto Grand Canyon Sunday. Run to electrical supply place Monday morn in flagstaff find a motor come back and replace it. Runs great generator cool leave williams for Zion national park via Las Vegas. As we are driving thru Vegas the generator overheats again. Find a grainger in Vegas pull into their parking lot at 4 pm. The auxiliary cooling fan that blows air over the generator is out too. Replace it. Get to Zion river rv resort at 9 pm. Pull into site, none of the slides will deploy . Call valid 24 hours out line , trouble shoot it hit a release valve and they all work.

Leave Zion Thursday drive to silverton colorado. Get halfway up severe grade and coach won't pull the 20k plus load (Mazda mx-5 and hammer and rzr) unload cars drive them in seperate. Coach now makes it easily. Get to silverton and put out slides and number 3 floor won't come up. Call valid again they do a "force" and it comes up.

Well Ill be home tomorrow. Trip was great but thought I'd share my issues.. Lol

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

linda and ashley ouray

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

Rent you arzr and do the mountain. The guy usually has good equipment right there in town

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Mark

Sure now you tell me the reality of owning a Newell after I am all in. Lol sorry to hear of your frustrations. I had a few years of that with last last few coaches. Did the coach just stop until you off loaded the cars?

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Still a "Happy Camper"!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

I think going up the mountain was partly my fault, I didn't have the proper gear setting to keep my rpms up enough. But at the time I was frustrated and we were unloading the cars in 10 miles anyway so that seemed like the easiest thing to do.. Going out of silverton I didn't have any problems I just kept it in 2nd and 3 rd the whole time. So I'm chalking it up to a learning experience. But I have 2 new electric cooling fans on my generatorSmile

Marc Newman

We brought ours with us, silverton was awesome, you can ride the rzrs in town to the campsite or to dinner or store or anything.. Awesome place

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marc Newman

Marc, so sorry to hear about your bad trip. It ain't fun without that A/C. Since you had to downshift manually to keep the RPMs up, that tells me that the transmission will downshift to 4, but not below. Is that correct?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I'm curious about the electric cooling fans. Are these in addition to the squirrel cage blower? Where are they mounted?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

On the way up I let the computer do all of the shifting and it would shift as low as second but it wouldn't always shift to the proper gear for the length of grade. On the way back I put it in 3rd and between 2nd and third I kept rpms around 1800 worked like a champ..

On the cooling fans I have a side mount generator, one squirrel cage pulls air in the side of the coach and forces it through the radiator cooling the water. The other fan pulls air in and is mounted on the front wall of the bay behind the generator and does nothing but blow fresh air into the generator compartment. My belief is the smaller motor that blew air into the generator compartment was not working sinc I had the coach but this is the first time I have had 701 in over 95 degree weather for an extend period of time that I noticed it. Both are new now and have had zero problems

Marc Newman