You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Airbag problem

Gents, I am holed up back at our rally site from last year...Elkhorn ridge, SD. I fueled up at Pilot in Rapid City and after pulling out noticed the coach behaving awkwardly on the road so I stopped and checked and the right front side was riding high and the L/R was very low... Called Roadside assistance and they said 6 hrs...called Newell and Tommy said have him bring a 8 1/4 inch block of wood to put in place once he removed the airbag...after two hours Roadside service call me and say he won't make it today so I start the coach up and somehow am able to get a little bit of air in the bag so that it is just over the wheel well and I make I limp it to Spearfish. Am off to arrange a truck mechanic to change all airbags. I'm hoping we can get this taken care of in the next day or so but I'm sure it will depend on availability of part etc.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Unless the air bag is obviously leaking, I'm guessing that either the ride height control valve linkage has fallen off or the LR ride height control valve has failed. Bill, I sent you an email.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, I just emailed you back.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

bill,

after thinking about this some more, something to ask the rest of the gurus is this.

if the airbag is bad enough to not air up and stay up. it seems like you would not be able to build up supply air pressure at all. bill, do you have supply air pressure?

if you do, i would consider what steve is suggesting. something not letting air into it.

steve suggested the ride height valve. i believe you checked that by not being able to air up the airbag when in leveling mode.

at least you are stuck at a nice place and near your relatives.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Don't the 6-pack solenoids have fuses in the kick panel in front of passengers seat?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

when you are in ride height mode. can you build up supply air pressure?

likewise when you are in leveling mode and trying to raise that corner?

tom

Bill called me yesterday. He could not raise the left rear in manual mode

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

When my airbag blew out, it was a small hole that was letting out just about the amount of air that the engine air compressor was capable of producing. Since the front only has 1 ride height valve, the side to side ride height is controlled by the rear valves. In short, my vote is still with the airbag. Tom's suggestions about trying it in leveling mode and trying to raise that corner is a good one since, without a 10+ ton jack and a lot of cribbing, I certainly wouldn't try to get under it. If one front corner would not come up ONLY in level mode, I would have a different opinion.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

yea, i talked to bill as well. i had not replaced the airbags on it when i had it.

i am just wondering if there is a hole in the airbag, wouldnt the supply pressure not hold up when trying to lift that corner with the leveleing controls? and if it holds pressure when trying to do that, wouldnt it suggest that it was not the airbag but something that gets air to it?

tom

Seems like Spearfish attracts airbag problems. Last year when we arrived in the Prevost we were draggin the right mudflap. We made it back to AR with the help of the aux air pump.. R/F airbag leaking.. Replaced em all, along w the ride valves for good measure. No problems since. For what it's worth...

Jimmy