You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What's the deal on this coach?

There is a thread just below this one called “Know anything about this Newell?”

It referenced a 2002 Newell for sale at Lazydays in Tampa. The thread goes on to say “I believe this is a discussion of that coach from Nov of 2013. http://newellgurus.com/Thread-2002-for-sale

The thread discusses this coach and some folks here on the forum even put bids in on it without success. Folks here on the forum also said the coach is not worth more than $100,000.00 and its listed for $230,799.00 hence my question.

Those who said the coach is worth $100,000.00 are guys who know something about what they’re talking about. So how can a coach worth $100,000.00 still have a price of $230,799.00?

Don’t misunderstand me, I understand you get what the traffic will bare and a dealer wants to get as much as they can. But dealers also have all these units floor-planned and costs them a bundle just sitting on the lot. By all indication this unit has been there awhile.

Why do you think Lazydays still has the coach sitting there for $230,799.00? Is it maybe because all potential buyers don’t talk to you guys and its buyer beware?

Thanks guys,

Harry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You may want to go back and read the comments by Marc Newman. Most likely, Lazydays has this on consignment, not floor-planned. It appears to be a high mileage entertainment coach not suitable as a family motorhome.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Call me 817 223 2056

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Since there is no "Blue Book" on Newel's, the Value is established the day the buyer and seller agree. It may change the next day, or on the next coach.....

Jimmy

Motorhomes of Texas probably has the most used Newells at one dealership as any other dealer. They are more knowledgeable and work with the factory buying their trades they don't want to sell there.
So they are probably the best resource for pricing. But yes a coach is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

LazyDays has had many internal problems and changes the past few years ... Hedy and I were once Ambassadors for the Crown Club a long time ago and understand many of the LD problems. The reason that coach is there and priced so high is that the buyer for years Daniel Harris wanted to re enter the used luxury market again with Prevosts and Newells on the lot. They started to buy a few and decided to go to consignment on all of these luxury coaches to avoid floorplan debt. A year or so later the CEO, John Horton resigned and left LD in Chaos again and after 3 BK's in the past 10 years they are lucky to be in biz. There are no salespeople at LD that know anything about Newells or Prevosts and are not trained in the systems, so they have little self confidence they will sell them, so they sit, overpriced and gathering dust... Watch out for roof-air conversions on consignments......

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

If you can live with an entertainer coach without converting the rear lounge to a bedroom and they can be bought at a very low price, they can be a decent buy but remember that they have frequently lead a much harder life than most Newells.

Tom has a great coach that was a former race team coach. He does a lot of work on it himself and has friends with skills that surpass those of most of my friends. Even with those attributes, I think he will tell you that he has put more money into his than he expected. If you were having to pay retail price to get a team coach brought up to date, you would typically be better off buying a coach that was gently used and met your needs without significant modifications.

Additionally, the asking price on the coach at LazyDays is as high or higher than recent listings for Newells of comparable age that have a bedroom and have had much less wear on the house systems.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

i think you will find that we are all hesitant to talk about what something is worth in terms of price because it can vary so incredibly much from coach to coach based on condition, floorplan, circumstances etc. they truely are worth what people are willing to pay. if a coach is not selling, it could be price, condition, unique floorplan, where it is located, etc.

since there are so many variables, due diligence in person is the best thing. many of us have looked at coaches for people. there have been ones i have seen that i wouldnt buy. but someone else did and they were happy or willing to do what it takes or....they liked it just fine. that is why you will hear mostly.....it seems high, it seems low etc.

i was looking at a 2000 newell that in the pictures i totally fell in love with. when i went to go see it in person, it took me about 2 minutes to realise that i not only didnt like it, but that i had really assummed alot of things that were not right. it had the raised roof, but i almost hit my head inside. the condition was wayyyy worse than the pictures. many times old pictures are used. (check dates on the pictures if possible). or ask for newly taken pictures. when bill was looking at my 90, i sent him a zillion pictures.

there are very few sales lots that know much about newells. the few that do you will see referred to frequently and many of the people here have bought from them. i asked a local dealer about consigning my 90 at one point. he said he would not take it. not his customer base.

unless you are buying a brand new one like doug did, they ALL will need something and will require constant love and attention and fixin. ask anyone here who has jumped into the coach game in a newell.

out of courtesy, most absolute price discussions are held offline and even then it follows the thought process i put above.

that said, people are usually willing to share their thoughts privately.

i remember i looked at the 74 that jimmy bought and thought to myself....who would buy this thing. jimmy did, restored it to amazing condition and became my buddy.

i looked at a late 80's for someone and i thought it was pretty rough, but another person looked at it and liked it.

my own 02 needed alot of work, but i was smitten with it when i saw it. (btw, the seller drove it to my house from california for me to look at it, now that is the way to look at a newell....ha). it was a race coach and didnt have a bedroom. but that didnt scare me and i have a really cool custom made cal king bed now in there and a 42" tv. (still have to finish the headboard) but others wouldnt have wanted it.

my 90 didnt need anything but yet i almost totally restored it (btw bill, i replaced the garbage disposal as well)

forest bought one, traded in his old one and drove off and full timed.

we also understand that this is a small community and that the last thing we want to do is make presumptions for someone else or offend anyone (dealer or guru). many of these coaches have been owned by people on this forum or they knew who did own them. ask, me, bill, richard, mark, ron, jeff and more.

my 2 cents worth and i am stickin to it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Harry-
To continue on what Tom was touching on...these coaches are not an investment. They cost money to maintain, operate, upgrade, or just sitting. Denise and I recently purchased #422 from Ron and it was previously owned by Dave...they spent money on the coach and my list is growing too...we wanted a fulltime lifestyle with amenities/quality only found in Newell or Prevost (those being shells converted)...for many reasons Newell became our only choice. The folks on this forum are one of those reasons. Newell service and 24/7 tech line in another...plus go to Miami,OK and witness what they do...I lived in NE Indiana and went to most all RV manufacturers and companies that supply them...no comparison.

Price/value are really more tied to what you want...example how good of deal would you need on a coach that had the ugliest paint scheme (in your eyes)? Less the coat of a plain paint job? Or a custom 4-5 color paint job? Heck someone might just love the 'ugly' and pay a premium...all in the eye of the holder.

Another example is 1 1/2 bathrooms and slides...we didn't want nor need the extra weight/space...plus our slides never have issues...Lol and I only have one toilet to clean/maintain...and my wife loves the rear closet.
Many wouldn't consider a no slide 18year old coach...so they will never be priced 'right' for that buyer.

Decide what are 'Must Have's' and then find all coaches that fit your primary criteria and compare selling prices...I called many sellers and buyers after deal is done and asked what the final price was. Asking prices are all over the range and really have no bearing on what price you can buy at...I looked at Tom's 2002 when still in Ohio and it was priced waaaaay higher just a few months before they drove it to his home for him to look at.
Keep in mind: private sellers have no commission, overhead, profit, and minimal marketing costs...plus dealers rarely know the coaches as well as the owner...
Owners have emotional ties to the coach and the reasons they want or need to sell that can muddy getting to a 'fair' market price.

On fair market price, ask Newell if they will buy the coach outright and if yes at what price...also see if they carry similar coaches in their used offerings and the asking price...note: they price at a premium to cover the warranty costs provided.

We were ready to buy and #422 hit most of our needs and the colors/upgrades/condition etc matched close enough with the price...

Newell Life is a good life, but it ain't free nor without issues...just like everything else.

Good news is the prices are always going down...you will know prices will be going up when Newell starts buying up older coaches, restoring, and reselling them and/or diesel goes below $1 gal...

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

Just to confirm the point of view expressed by Sundance and Tom, I fell in love with the 2011 "O SOO UGLY" frilly coach that is at the Newell factory. This is the one with the cameo lady in the rear bath, red leather, and looks like a 1880 railroad car owned by a railroad tycoon. I made an offer but it did not meet the estate's view of its worth. Confirming the point that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica