You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Garmin Truck GPS Coming End of Year

Garmin Dezl 760LMT 7-Inch Bluetooth Trucking GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic is scheduled for release December 31, 2012. It will be the first Garmin truck gps with a 7-inch screen. Anticipated price is $399.99. I am thinking about pre-ordering one.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I mount my GPS up high near the tire monitor, so I need an external antenna. I will be interested in Garmin's new Truck GPS if it has a port to plug in the external. Their current Truck GPS does not provide for an external antenna.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I would need commercial aviator glasses with close focusing built into the top of the lens to look up at a GPS. My ProDriver is overhead and a bear for me to see while driving.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Chester, I checked the Garmin site and they do not mention an antenna port, which I would prefer myself. They also don't show any cables or external antenna as accessories so I would be surprised it if has them. It does support a back up camera on the 7" screen.

It does support Smartphone Link for Android which allows the gps to use your phone as a data connection to access Garmin Live Services which includes severe weather alerts, radar images, local weather (free), live traffic (subscription), traffic cameras (free), fuel prices (free), etc.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Russ and Michael, I have posted two photos showing how I have mounted my 7" Rand McNally. If it were not mounted up and shielded, I could not see the screen because it has a light green background and white streets. I am researching for a replacement because not only is the Rand McNally hard to see, but it is simply junk and will take you the wrong way. I like the idea of the Garmin Desl, but will not consider it without an external antenna which enables me to place it wherever it works best, other than on the windshield.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

i have the rand mcnally unit as well. it does wash out in the daylight. so i was using it either from the passenger seat with my wife or daughter or mounted on the center movable console.

i have to say as far as gps systems go, we were running my googlemaps on my phone, the iphone gps and the rand mcnally. all 3 would give different routes. so i am not impressed with any of them so far.

i do like the warnings it gives for heights etc.

we would pull out the ol paper atlas once in a while to be sure.

ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(09-04-2012, 03:35 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i have the rand mcnally unit as well. it does wash out in the daylight. so i was using it either from the passenger seat with my wife or daughter or mounted on the center movable console.

i have to say as far as gps systems go, we were running my googlemaps on my phone, the iphone gps and the rand mcnally. all 3 would give different routes. so i am not impressed with any of them so far.

i do like the warnings it gives for heights etc.

we would pull out the ol paper atlas once in a while to be sure.

ha

Tom,

My wife Karen loves to use the RM road atlas. She is a great navigator. Everytime we argue (discuss?) a route she is always right. I have the Garmin 255 which is 3 years old and I love it. I have only encountered a low overpass once in 20 years of RVing.

We were in a Chicago (lost) neighborhood and we came upon an underpass that was listed 11'6" - I dumped the air and we made it under with inches to spare (1987 Newell 40'). I think the underpass was actually 12'0"!

tom

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

i have probably posted this before but my sensitivity about clearance was developed right after i got our 1990. we had it about a few weeks and we had gone up to the midwest. i was excited to go to my hometown of mason city, iowa. it is full of train tracks, overpasses and underpasses.

we had just driven into mason city and i was happily remembering my childhood while driving the newell through the little town. we were going to stay at a city park less than a half mile from a child hood friends house. as we were within a mile of his home, he calls me on my cell phone. he asks me where i am and i tell him. i am coming up his street. he quickly asks how tall my rig is and i tell him over 12 feet. he then says with panic that the underpass i am within a few blocks of now is only 12 feet high. i quickly divert and come around the back side and thank him for the call. if i had kept going, in about 2 minutes i would have been wedged under a very old unused train underpass.

after that, i am much more concerned about height.

now enters in the 13 foot tall 2002. 13' 4" i believe. now i am even more cautious. when we were coming into miami, ok to stop by the newell plant to pick up a few parts after we left steve and suzy's i see the sign many of you have seen. bridge that is 13'6" tall. i am sure i am less than that and no one at newell ever said be careful about it so with my daughter in the passenger seat we slow down to a crawl and go under. no problems. my daughter just laughs and says....hey dad, no crunching noises.....

later

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi, Guys. Great to find you again.
Re: the Trucker Garmin - DON'T Leave Home without it....

Our 43' Newell is 12'6" tall and we pull a 13'3" ATC Stacker Trailer (that height includes a camera on the top of each-we wanted to view the bridge just before we hit it) so I was NERVOUS about heights so we got:
1) the Garmin Trucker dēzl™ 560LMT bought in June 2012 (Yes, 5 inches but you would be surprised how easy it is see and it does talk to you, you know)
2) the Rand McNally Trucker Atlas Hard Copies (different map data than the Garmin)
3) the low height software US tracker which loads into your Garmin
http://www.lowclearances.com
4) the latest Alpine Headset with mapping

The Garmin is AMAZING! It will even route you to where you can make the turns (73' takes a little room to turn)....not just the height.....not just the weight on roads....not just the traffic....and it has LIFETIME FREE updates!! It comes with the pad so it will sit on your dash ....but we also got the Garmin Suction cup mount.
After we checked the Garmin against the map, etc. about 4 times, we were hooked! The Garmin is our new best friend. AND you can program your car type, size etc. and your RV type, size, etc. and tell the Garmin what you driving and it adjusts the route. Oh, yea, need fuel or a restaurant or what is on the next exit? Just hit the button and it brings up your choices. Want your home, etc. in photos? No problem, just use the camera in your Garmin for a permanent reminder. I could sell these things for a living...they are worth the money.
Best, Lynn & Jeff

Just for those who drive a 13 foot vehicle. Better respect those warning signs.

http://11foot8.com/camper-tries-to-sneak...t8-bridge/

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531