You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Axle spindle

Worst case: I may need to replace or repair the tag axle spindle on the driver side of my 1997 coach #438. Any suggestions or experience. Due to bearing failure.

Can't you just replace the bearings and races? I've done it on cars, but not MHs.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Might be ruined.

That's not good, if the bearing piled up that bad Its lucky it didn't start a fire and loose your coach or worse.
Unless these axles have replacable spindles it might be easiest and cheapest to change the whole axle.
I have machined out spindles on big truck diffs, shrink fitted and welded in a new one, only if the housing was too expensive or not available. This can be done with a line boring rig or a very large lathe. I wouldnt try welding on the bearing surfaces themselves.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Pic would be helpful. I have done a lot of stuff to salvage spindles & hubs on 1 ton trucks.

Being this is a tag, it doesn't have an axle as one thinks of an axle. Each tag has its own mount. As Clint said pic. would be great.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Did you try calling Newell?
They should be able to give you a part number or price if its their part.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yes a pic would be best. So the spindles are independent? That would make it easier to replace. If the bearing surfaces are damaged I wouldnt mess around, put a new one. I have heard of coaches burning down from a bad bearing. If it gets hot enough the tire will catch fire, not much chance of putting it out. Here is a thread about this
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/fo...hp?t=19389

Love old schoolHeart

All good questions, the bearings failed while traveling as luck would have it I was fortunate and reached my destination before major damage ie fire or an accident. However I had bearings and seals replaced after some work on the spindle and it is again leaking and soon to fail. I am having someone look at it tomorrow and am anticipating the spindle discussion. This is a fairly expensive part and wanted to know if anyone had experience replacing or repairing this spindle.

Not sure what part of the country you are in but there may be a company similar to this one near you that can rebuild your spindle on site.
http://axleals.com

Love old schoolHeart