You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Shutting Down
Sad 

Near the end of my recent three month 9,000 mile adventure my generator started shutting down on its own. The stuff I could see on the dash all looked good - temperatures and pressures. Well there is always the possibility of fuel issues so first shot in the dark would be both the fuel/water separator, and the fuel filter. Man that separator was expensive to purchase on the road. I replaced them and followed the directions for priming. Thank you Newell for the priming switch right there at the filters.

I was almost happy when they would not prime. Now I had a plausible reason for the shutdowns. I emailed Tom for a quick hint on the fuel pump I might need, but his generator is totally different from mine - why aren't any two of these Newells alike - but I digress.

I got a part number from the fuel pump on my Kholer/Yanmar generator as the pump was by Carter. I was unable to match that older part number exactly, but after much reading and research I decided it now cross to a P4389. I placed an order with Jegs and was happy to see free shipping, and then sad to see like $12 in handling fees Sad

When the pump arrived it appeared to be an exact replacement to me and once installed I cracked the bleed screen on the filter housing and turned the switch. Jumped for joy when the fuel came squirting out at me. All is well for now. Picture of original pump is attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

hi russ, i didnt realize you had a kohler/yanmar. mine is the powertech as you discovered. but.....the same fix for the same problem, just different pump.

great work

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Turns out my blower was not working so the generator shut down when it got too hot.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

todd, so you have a blower and not a fan ounted on the generator motor?

steve wards has a fan on the motor.

others have the separate blower.

its a good thing the overheat sensor was working...

if the electric motor is like mine, it is easy to replace. i also replace the blower itself on both my newells.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yes just a blower. They ran power to it and it still would not run so it is shot. It makes sense now and Steve had wondered if it was not overheating and shutting off. That is why it would only run for a few minutes and then shut down.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Russ,

I have the same Carter fuel pump on my Kohler/Yanmar generator. When you purchased the new fuel pump did it come with the black clip on wires that connect to the bottom of the fuel pump?

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Yes indeed it did.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Russ,

I just ordered a P4389 Carter fuel pump for my generator spare parts bin. Our coaches are the same age; if yours gave out mine can't be far behind.

When the generator stops - the fun stops!

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

(09-09-2012, 06:35 AM)tuga Wrote:  Russ,

I just ordered a P4389 Carter fuel pump for my generator spare parts bin. Our coaches are the same age; if yours gave out mine can't be far behind.

When the generator stops - the fun stops!

Big Grin

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Just had the radiator for our generator re-cored because there were signs of possible leakage. As Tuga said......

Flick, glad you have found at least some of the problem. It is a good thing that the Safety Circuit for Overheat was working properly otherwise this could have had a bad ending. Our Gen uses a Fan off of the Gen to bring air past the radiator instead of a blower. When I had the front cover off at an RV park a guy walked up, looked in and said "wow, that looks like a small engine for this big a motorhome". I simply looked at him and said yeah and it gets great mileage, turned and continued working.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch