You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

discussion on radiators/CAC mounting ideas for series 60

i started this topic to see if we can come up with anything.

there are some pictures of the radiator and CAC from both me and ron in this post if you go through it.

http://newellgurus.com/Thread-series-60-...or-leaking

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It appears that Prevost have CAC issues also.

http://prevostcommunity.com/forum/thread...eadID=1611

From the photos, it looks like they hard mount their radiator and CAC also.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I used to work as an engineer in a chemical plant. We had lots of heat exchangers. Failures at the tube sheet to tube interface were usually caused by stresses due to thermal expansion and contraction being too rigidly restrained. On our CACs and RADs if the ends are solidly fastened (restrained), then as the units heat up the expansion has only one way to resolve itself - by flexing the tube sheet on the ends or by flexing the tubes. Particularly with materials that work harden - copper and aluminum - they will eventually crack. If this is where our leaks are occurring then we really would benefit from creating a more forgiving mounting.

A Google search identified some rubber bushing being used to mount CACs. I'll see if I can get some pictures in the next week of how large trucks are mounting things.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

One of the smarter guys who had a bird and now has a Prevost changed his CAC out with a DuraLite one. It was an impressive piece.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

that was david? did he change the mounting from ridgid to flexible?

tom

I have read a significant number of posts of folks changing from the Prevost installed CAC units to the DuraLite units. No one has mentioned changing the mounting. Apparently, different Prevosts have different arrangements some stack there CAC on top, some on the front, some apparently in an L shaped configuration.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Does Duralite make one for a newell and who and how much?

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Don't know Ron. http://www.duralite.net/content/charge-air-coolers

They made a custom one for David Brady for his Blue Bird and now it is a stock item that they are selling.

According to Dura Lite:

Quote:What if a Dura-Lite™ Part # is not available?
Dura-Lite’s professionally certified engineers can custom design a Charge Air Cooler, Radiator, and/ or Radiator/ Charge Air Cooler Cooling Module for any application.

How do you determine which Dura-Lite™ Charge Air Cooler fits a vehicle?
Determine the Original Equipment Part # of the Charge Air Cooler on the vehicle. Distributor/ Dealers can then cross the Part # to a Dura-Lite™ Part # on Dura-Lite’s Website Catalog and/ or printed Catalog or contact Dura-Lite™ Customer Support at 800-661-1117 for further assistance.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

last summer when i was having radiator problems i contacted atlas radiator that made the cac and radiator for my newell.

they said this was a drawing of the ones i have.

i never validated it but they know which coaches have what sizes in them i believe.

tom

Attached Files
.pdf radiator.pdf Size: 97.14 KB  Downloads: 52

One thought would be to allow for the expansion and flex. A way to do this might be with something like this

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pro...rod=3.4142

If the charge air cooler is hard mounted on the radiator and of different materials, their expansion rate would be different also stressing/flexing at different rates...

There are many options to allow for flex/expansion here is another example.

Jimmy