You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1981 Newell information needed

First off, to determine the current condition of your 6V92 I would draw oil, transmission fluid, and radiator coolant and have them tested. This will give you a baseline for the current condition of your engine, transmission, and radiator....that is where the big money is. Do the same for the generator (oil, coolant). If, after you have reconditioned the diesel, and added fresh diesel, there is little or no smoke at idle, or while underway you probably will not have to have the "rack" adjusted. If there is a lot of smoke you will need to have the "rack run" as they say. Once the testing of current fluids has been done, and there are no major issues I would have all the fluids (oil, tranny and radiator) renewed, plus change all filters, including the air filter. Be sure to use the Detroit Diesel coolant.....get the concentrate and then cut it 50/50 with distilled water. The entire coolant system should take 23 quarts......more, or less. Depending on the age (not mileage) on the tires you may need to have them all replaced. Whether they are sitting on a rack, or on a vehicle, driven, or not, they are pretty much done at 6-7 years.

Have all the running gear checked.....brakes, air bags, steering, drive shaft.....If "nylocks" were used to bolt the drive shaft to the transmission I would change them out....the nylon bushings will deteriorate over decades....if not for Richard Entriken's sharp eyes I would have suffered a catastrophic failure last summer.....all the "nylocks" had backed off to the point where I only had a few miles left before I dropped the drive shaft to the pavement.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Hum, hadn't considered that about the nylocks.... Thanks Clarke.

marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Hopsing,

Before we practically rebuild the Newell on the forum, what are your intentions? Get it running to sell it? Get it running to use it? Join the Newell nuthouse and make it good or better than new?

Not trying to be nosy, just trying to focus our answers to your needs.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I had a very similar situation with our '81 Newell in that it had sat for years before we got it.

Not sure that "polishing" will do much good but it sure wouldn't hurt because it is basically filtering the fuel. The 6V92 pumps allot more fuel than it ever could use and so it will filter the fuel all by itself providing you have good clean fuel filters. In my case I bought a case each of both of the fuel filters (there are 2 each, 1 before the engine and one on the engine!!). The first run I went about an hour, changed them out and then poured them into a container to get a look at the sediment. As we traveled I continued this until I could go longer and longer. I did notice that the filter against the engine room bulkhead will have more debris in it than the one on the engine and soon I was able to replace the one on the engine every other time. Don't forget to prime the filters.

I wouldn't start the Generator just yet. I would just wait until I had a chance to get into good fuel, no reason to add another engine into the equation yet. We have a 12KW KOHLER generator and it uses a PERKINS 4 cylinder diesel. Great engine but it does vibrate and a little "barky" or noisy exhaust, only one fuel filter after the separator.

Something to know about our controls is that they are Pneumatic! but if you had brakes then you had good air pressure.

I would be much more concerned about the engine oil if it has sat that long without being replaced. I did one oil change right away, another after taking it over for tires (less than an hour) and then another after only a few more hours of operation....cheap insurance!! PS WE CAN ONLY USE TWO STROKE ENGINE OIL!!! I use DELO 100 40W, this is usually not on the shelf but the best price I found for it was a O'Reilly Auto _Parts and here is the link;
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...&ppt=C0162
They were also able to order the filters for me as well but you will need your numbers since I am not at the coach now.

Allot of good advice has been given to you so far. Good luck! AND DO NOT CRAWL UNDER THE COACH WITHOUT CRIBBING OR BLOCKING IT!!! THE AIR RIDE SUSPENSION COULD COME DOWN ON YOU!!!!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Perkins two stroke???? I never seen one......

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Good place to buy filters is: http://www.filterbarn.com.

Jimmy

Perkins Diesel with only one filter

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I just purchased an 82 Newell model that hasn't been cranked in a year. Fortunately the owner topped off the tanks and added conditioner. Going next week to see if I can get the Ole girl to crank. After this read I'll bring fuel filters.

Any pictures of the '82? As a 1982 Newell Classic owner I'm always interested in seeing pictures of other Classics.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Clarke,

This one has been was spotted at HHI motorcoach resort. It has been there for at least a year.

[attachment=2622]

No, it wasn't upside down. I was standing on my head. Maybe Tom can fix the orientation.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )