You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Zip Dee Patio Awning Help Needed

We have Zip Dee Awnings on all of our windows on our 84, but do not have the large patio awning that covers most of the passenger side above those windows...like Clark's on our Guru web page here. I have called Zipp Dee and they have directed me to their measuring instructions. I imagine that the front arm will need to either go between the door and the awning on the most forward window or between that awning's most forward arm and the front tire and passenger window if that makes sense to you guys. Before I do this though I thought I would check with you all (my Newell family) for reassurance, tips and help (see attached PDF for Zipp Dee instructions and side view pic of my coach):

1. Do I find the center line of a structural rib by simply assuming it is a verticle rivot line?
2. It references an awning rail to measure against. I assume they are referencing an existing awning rail for coaches that are simply replacing an awning. Since I adding an awning then does that mean that i need to also find and but an awning rail? If so what purpose does this rail serve is it for drainage of water or condensation on the coach?
3. Then would you assume from these instructions that I am measuring from the center point of the bottom brackets to the top of where I will put my awning rail (see question #2 above) and Zipp Dee then subtracts that 51/2" clearence they require from that measurement..and it appears that measurement includes the contour of the coach.

Your advice and assistance is appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf Zip Dee Instructions.pdf Size: 29.96 KB  Downloads: 2

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

1) Yes, the rivets should be VERY close to the center of the vertical ribs. 2) If you don't have a full length awning rail you will need to install one. If you want to go over the existing awnings you will have to install the awning rail well above the other awning rails. 3) You will need the contour main awning and yes their drawing does show measuring around the contour of the coach. Start measuring where the subfloor is. I have attached a larger photo of Clarke's coach for you to get a better idea of the mounting/placement.

Be careful of having the long arm too close to the door as it could interfere with the door opening. It appears that with your front awning out the door will only open out about 100 degrees but you don't want to hamper that further.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, I think you have more pictures of my coach than I do....Big Grin

It looks like each support arm is centered over each wheel well on mine. Of course, Todd, you have two more window awnings than I do so you'll need to be sure not to interfere with any of those as it looks like the right front window awning arm is also centered over your front wheel well, although it's hard to tell from the angle of your picture.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Yes Clarke Inwas wondering about that as well. I am hoping it can fit between that awning and the window but it looks tight OK Mike so are you saying the awning rail I would need installed needs to be the length of the coach or the length of the awning itself? Also where do I buy this and is there any style or brand that is preferred?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

The awning rail is generally slightly longer than the awning. If you order an awning from Zip Dee ask them to provide the awning rail also. There are several brands of awning rails available but if you get one from Zip Dee you know it will work properly.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

hi todd,

you need to get the awning rail for the specific brand of awning you are going to use. if it is a zipdee, then here is what it looks like. http://awningsbyzipdee.com/media/19b7d1b...ffd523.pdf

you would get it the same time and place you buy the awning from.

it is how the awning is mounted to the coach. on my 90 i had to replace the cloth hinge that slides in it attaching the rest of the awning to it. it is a piece of canvas sewn around a piece of round plastic. then it slides into that rail and also on the awning. at least that is how it was on my 90.

i know steve magowan on our site is a dealer for some awnings and may be able to help you. i dont know if he does zipdee or not.

later

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have talked to the gal at the factory directly and she seems to understand what I need. I hope to measure it to order this coming thursday when I take it to the paint shop. Yep she is going to be stripped to bare metal and have a brand new prom dress. Very expensive stuff but weaver excited and these folks do all the high end coaches in our area. The owners of the shop came out and climbed all over the rig....even spent time on the roof. Speaking of that I think I will have them remove the old crank up antenna and maybe just cover the hole with a satelite dome for now. Don't think we need it hooked up yet but may as well cover the hole with something functional for later use.

Tom do you think I should use the guy you referenced for the awning or just go factory direct?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

wow. sounds really great to have her painted. as far as the awning, steve is just a newell owner and on our site and he has dealer status for some things and i dont know if zipdee is one of them or not. feel free to contact him if you wish. he is smagown on our forum here.

going direct with the factory helps if you have any issues.

i have bought parts from them and they were very helpful.

sounds really fun. cant wait to see the new paint job.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Todd, I am sure you talked to the same lady I have talked with at ZipDee, and she is very knowledgeable, and helpful. When I was ordering a third window awning for the passenger side kitchen and shower windows she really helped a lot. I was able to install the awning with my lovely wife's help, and it works great. The printed instructions they send with their product are easy to follow.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Todd:
Linda is probably who you are talking to at ZipDee. She really knows her product. I believe the rail comes with the new awning but check to make sure. You will need a rivet gun too. With the cost of freight it 's not worth going thru a dealer, just order from them.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458