You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Blew tag bag

The gremlins have me. Started the first leg of our three month journey this morning. First stop is my mothers. Five minutes after leveling in her drive, most down tail up, we have a gunshot and hissing air. Rear tag bag is blown. Other tags had been replaced by Tuga I think because they look new. Any how found Steve's post and will use those numbers to try to find bag tomorrow

Remember I just posted about the brake bracket repair? I was under there for hours with the coach raised all the way up on the air bags just like it was when this one blew. Yes. I did have the coach cribbed when I was working, but it just proves the point. The coach sank instantly when the bag blew because the drive is tied to the tag. A great reminder to crib ALWAYS. It would have definitely crushed me if this had happened and the coach was not supported.

I have only phone internet at Moms.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If anyone can fix this on the road Richard it's you. Is route thru South Dakota at all during your sojourn?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I was walking around my old bus a few years ago and thought I had been shot. My tag bag blew. Fortunately, the tags are a separate system

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Had a tag bag replaced in June at Newells. They did it without getting under the coach or removing the tire. Of course they had it jacked up at the rear tow. The bag had a slow leak. Richard, good it happen where it did and not while going down the road.

I've noticed the tag bags are placed where the excess U joint grease can sling on them. That could be one problem in tag blow outs before the others??

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

In my case the other bags appear to be new, just the tags appear to have age. No signs of grease or oil on the bag.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,

This is sweet vindication for me. When I bought my coach from Newell it had 160k miles and was 9 years old. One of the first things that I wanted them to replace were the air bags. They told me that they had inspected them and there was no trouble. I persisted and after a couple more requests, they relented and replaced front air bags. Next trip, they replaced rear airbags. Not cheap...but good peace of mind!

That would have been a good story except for the part where 2 bags on rear developed slow leaks in the new bags and had to be replaced. bleh!

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

richard, i emailed you pictures and dimensions of the tag bag newell said i had and the one i actually put in. all i would suggest is that you match what you have to the pictures in the firestone cat (i sent those). because if i had bought the ones they said, it would have been wrong.

when i took mine off the coach, the number on them was one no one had and that firestone said 8 weeks to make. firestone helped me find one that was essentially the same with same internal bumper, mount etc. just a tiny bit different for the bag, like very small. and it worked fine. and i could find them.

even newell says to look at what you have to be sure.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Richard, the air bag that Newell replaced is by Goodyear. The invoice numbers are #1003 and 1003589378c ridewell. Cost $227.60 for air bag.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

i talked to richard this morning and he is getting the bags from newell and will have them monday. he is working on removing them and said he is going to do both of them while he is at it.

for richard, this is like going to QT for a hot dog....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would love to see film of this whole job. Can we get Francis Ford Coppola flown in to direct ?

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border