You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Holy Heat Batman

Since I've owned this 93 coach the dash heat has been pathetic, barely keeping us comfortable when it's less than 55 outside.

I changed the boost pump due to a noisy bearing - no change in heat output.

I overhauled the solenoid valve at the inlet to the pump - no change in heat output.

While finishing the solenoid overhaul I noticed that the engine coolant shutoff valve feeding the pump and solenoid didn't make nearly as many rotations before it came to a stop. I had operated this valve in the past but never noticed the small number of rotations until it came to a stop. I then could feel that the stem wasn't extended nearly as far as the other valve - can't see the stem due to location. In attempting to remove the handwheel I discovered that by tapping the bottom of the handwheel with a small hammer the valve would open a few more turns. After many iterations of this the stem appeared to match the extension of the other shutoff valves. I now have real heat.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Sounds like some scale build up. You may be due for a cooling system flush & coolant replacement.

Good catch. A reduced flow of hot water will certainly reduce your dash heat.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com