You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Have you driven from Durango to Ouray

On 550, the million dollar highway. I have heard both good and bad. I am curious if any of you have driven it. I know Matt has, and lived to tell about it, but he didn't add any details in his posts.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Do NOT drive it Richard unless you plan on backing up 3 points on 2 switchbacks that are less than 25 feet across. The areas with no guard rails are scary but not a problem. It's the twisting and backing up required for any 45" motorhome on the 2 switchbacks. The trucks have a different pivot point with the tractor that can handle the turns You will have to disconnect the toad as a car in tow does not work. Also remember Matt did not have a 45" coach and No tag if I recall, but not positive. We were staying in Ouray last summer with Matt and Ron for a spell. Suggest a different park other than the one in town as it is just a dirt lot and expensive.... There are a few other options before you get to Ouray that are much more pleasant. We did have a blast in the mountains and you will love the hiking. Go around instead of 550 and Thank me later.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Richard, if you want to give me a call. Connie and I did this trip. Not, not and issue. Beautiful drive. Connie ran ahead and behind me taking lots of pictures. Never was a stop and back or 3 point turn. I think Larry may be confusing this drive with another. Actually held camera for video while driving...Wink It saved quite a few miles when we exited Ouray head home...

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Last year, the fella that bought my coach went to a rally in Durango. He wanted to go to Salt Lake and decided that was his route. Word is he smoked his brakes bad. He is still alive, but much older.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Richard I didn't drive that part bu I did do pagosa to silverton.. The locals said the steeper part is that part not ouray.. I'm sure you can handle it ok

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I'm sure by now they have finished the road construction between Silverton and Ouray?
We were in Silverton in the spring and the road was only open for an hour at noon while they were repairing it due to a rock slide.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Richard, I spent years driving that with a pick up & 20' gooseneck trailer. My recommendation would be to keep coach in an RV park on one side or the other & do a day trip in the toad so you can be more relaxed & enjoy the scenery & views as you make the trip. Lost brakes at the top once & had to idle down in compound. Not a fun experience. Maybe that is what I'm basing my just drive it in the toad opinion on.

I have taken that drive in a rented suv...own three rialta's a bunch of mini vans, pt cruisers, 25 ft
class c, 24 ft mobile office box, 1976 mci 8 40 ft.,1997 newell 45 ft #463. There is no way I would take that drive in either my mci or my newell...I do not consider myself a seasoned big rig driver and do not have enough years left to even attempt that drive regardless of how confident I felt about my skills...Just saying from a novice...My advice is (toad) (rental suv) Both sides (both routes) of
mountain are beautiful in different ways if you are making the circle from Durango...Now is a great time for the aspens on the mountains...I am pretty much a lurker on this site and glad to be here as a part of the group...Jerry

I don't quite know how to word this post. We made the drive without incident. For those who told me not to, I will come across as one who doesn't listen. For those who told me no problem, they will say I told you.

The reality is somewhere in the middle. I did take every comment and phone call into consideration before starting out.

The switchbacks were really not a problem without the toad. I don't know if the toad would have mattered or not. The descents and curves in the descents were managed with the jake. I kept the tranny in second gear and it would hold the speed to 20 mph. I didn't have to abuse the brakes in any way. Rhonda was surprised at how little she saw the brakelights.

We did pullover about five times to let traffic by. It was never more than four or five cars.

The dropoffs can be very intimidating. If you make a mistake on this road, or lose your jake/brakes you are going to have serious event. You are going to have to drive it into the sidewall to keep from going over the edge.

I had two tense moments in the trip. One, I met a tractor trailer in one of the sections where I was on the outside, and he was up against the rocks. We didn't swap paint on the mirrors is all I can say. The second was two cats on motorbikes on my side of the yellow line in a blind curve. I applied Forest's rule, he with the most wheels wins.

The only coach related info is coolant never exceeded 205, and tranny never over 214. That is what this coach does on the open road too. The brakes did not smell 'hot' when we stopped in Ouray. However, I do have the hot smell of differential fluid. That is to be expected with the stress on the diff both going up and coming down. The gear selection computer would get a little delayed action on throttle from time to time. I suppose altitude and up down up down up down could have been factors.

Thank you to all who provided info. It was helpful. Extremely helpful in making an informed decision. I started out with a cautious mindset, mentally prepared for the drive.

I will neither recommend nor discourage anyone from this drive. I think it all depends on your own comfort level and the condition of your coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Ataboy!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin