You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Poll: How do you close your pantograph bay doors? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Do you only use the door handle to close?
0%
0%
Do you use the handle & pull down on the door skin at the top?
7.69%
7.69%
Do you just pull down on the door skin at the top?
84.62%
84.62%
Other, please explain............
7.69%
7.69%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Closing pantograph bay doors

Trying to determine how others close their pantograph bay doors. Thanks in advance for participating.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
I push the door down to the position where it stays in place and then gently push into place. I do adjust the catches every few months so I have good contact and never need to slam a compartment door shut .It is a fluid movement that requires little effort. I began trying to be quieter in closing them and realized soon on that most people just slam the shut because they don't understand the dynamics of how the doors are balanced and how much resistance they each have. It does take a bit of adjustment to get them all working perfect, but I can say comfortably that I can close all mine with two fingers on one hand and when I first got the coach 4 years ago I needed 4 hands to close half of them and they all needed to be slammed shut then. After you wake up your wife a few times you will learn my methodology is sound. Ha

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

"I push the door down to the position where it stays in place"

Larry,
When you push the door down, what are you pushing on?

By the way there is no wrong answer! Every one may have a different process.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I do like Larry and push from the top on the corners and then the sides when I get it in place.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

I grab mine at the top, usually with both hands or with one hand if I've got one hand full and bring it down then push it shut usually pushing on the door itself.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Just like Steve M said .. Pull down from corner or anywhere on top and it moves down to the open position about 3 inches from closed and then I simply push it in .. I talk out my explanations better than writing them, sorry bout that.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Nice thing about this forum, you can learn something new every day. I will change my technique.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I am really surprised by the lack of participation in this poll! Polls are a great way to give data anonymously & a great way to collect data without putting a name with it. Only four votes. I guess polls just aren't for Newell owners.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Hi! I'm Bill and I am a slammer. (you say "Hi Bill!") I am not sure when I started slamming, but it was really early. As far back as I can remember, I just slammed. I would grab the door at the top and as I overcame the force of the pistons, I would continue to pull down until the door slammed. At first it made me feel powerful, but now its become somewhat destructive. Everyone else slammed I told myself. But now I know this was a lie.

Today, a light went on and I gently pulled the door into the down position. The top was out about three inches and the bottom resting nicely on the door frame. It just stayed there. Many of you will not believe me...but what happened next was amazing.

I did something Ive never done before. I simply pushed in the top of the door. Click! The door actually closed. Securely. Then it stayed closed. I re-opened the door and did it a second time, then a third. click, click, click. It worked every time.

Mind=blown!

From now on, I will now be a clicker!

cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Everbody... up unil five minutes ago I also was a slammer and making sure my fingers were not anywhere close to the door when it closed...I just now went out and opened and closed all of my
doors the way it was explained in the different posts...Wonderful...wonderful...wonderful...Thank You Thank you... Jer