You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aux Air Compressor Install

I am thinking of installing a compressor and tying it in with the coach air system. Would like to know if anyone has done this and any pitfalls I should watch for. The compressor is a 1.3 hp 120vAC version with max pressure of 120 psi. I can separate the 8 gal tank, if necessary, from the motor/compressor strictly for convenience of mounting. I would like to use this aux compressor for airing up the coach instead of running the coach as well as using it for tire inflation & air tool use.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Silver 8v92/Allison 4 sp.
Toad: 2007 HHR
Life is a Highway.

Link to some reading material shows how some systems are configured.
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/hwh/hwh_a...ained.html

Jimmy

Jimmy,
You stole my thunder,lololol. I was going to post the same thing.....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

The Gurus are Mind Melting.....Mmmmm

Jimmy

Lots to read there, thanx for the help.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

Is anyone running a check valve on their aux compressor discharge to keep higher engine compressor pressure isolated from the aux compressor?

that's what I had planned to do, for safety if nothing else. No need to let the install become another source of a leak.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

Your engine shouldn't be putting out more that 120 to 125. However, you either need a check valve or a spool valve to relieve the pressure on the compressor to allow it to start against low pressure instead of system pressure.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have a 1/4" check valve on the output of the Gast compressor on my coach.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Richard, The Gast never starts up unless system pressure drops to 70 psi. It shuts off at 90 psi. My problem seems to be that when engine compressor is running at 120 psi it seems to have blown out a seal in the Gast. Thanks everyone for the info. I will definitely be putting in a check valve when I put the new Gast back in. That should keep it from ever seeing anything over 90 psi.