You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Mattress

I just had Newell put in a new mattress in my coach hoping it would be better than the old one. Unfortunately, it is way too firm for me. And I like firm mattresses! But this is beyond firm. Puts my arm asleep when I sleep on my side. The old mattress was the same way.

We've tried putting extra padding on top but that does not work well, sheets don't fit, slides around, drapes over sides, etc. plus bed is still not comfy.

Does any one feel the same way? What did you do to remedy the problem?

Does any one know where I could get a custom shaped (rounded corners) spring mattress?

Thanks gurus!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Jason,

I was thinking about getting Newell to replace my mattress as well. I have a rounded mattress as well. My 10 y/o mattress is just too hard. Are they making the new ones out of tempurpedic material? I have a temperpedic at home and it was also quite hard until I added a softer topper. That made it perfect.

If someone else has solved this I would love to hear!

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Tom had a custom matteress made in PHX. ... Tom?

Jimmy

There is a custom mattress maker in Petoskey, Michigan that makes awesome replacements, but the name escapes me ... Not cheap at about $2500

We had the same firmness issues mentioned and topped the mattress with very mushy closed cell foam that's only 2" thick and down filled quilted mattress cover did the trick and the sheets are California King modified to fit.

I

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Bill,
The mattresses from newell are currently made with a "memory foam" type material but I personally find it firmer than the tempurpedic beds I've tried. There is not much memory effect to the foam. I asked Tommy K at newell and he said they only offer the one type and one firmness, which really surprises me given that they only build custom coaches and sleep comfort is a high priority for most people.

I personally would not be happy if I purchased a $2mil coach and I had only one choice of mattress being one I find uncomfortable. Maybe Tommy was saying they only offer the one mattress option for replacements for my particular coach. I will clarify next time I talk to him.

Larry,
I will give the closed cell foam a try. Hopefully it works for us. I assume we will indeed need new sheets as ours are from newell made to fit the mattress.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I want to clarify that my dealings with Newell and Tommy have been all first class. I just read my post and it may come across a little negative. Although I am disappointed in the mattress, Newell did a bunch of work to my coach this summer (about $40k worth), including putting new carpet in, and they did a great job.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Nope, that did not sound negative. Thanks for the information. I am aware of a local mattress manufacturer, I will check with them and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Mattresses are such personal preference items. Yes the bed is firm in the coach. But both Rhonda and I think it is extremely comfortable. I am not saying that you should feel the same way. We just bought a new mattress for the house and we chose the firmest thing the stores had. We find a firm foundation with a soft top is the ticket.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

it's lean muscle from biking and hiking up and down mountains that makes you and Rhonda like a mattress hard. when I was an athlete 40 yrs ago I quite often like to sleep on the floor as it felt much better after 8 hours of training. I actually had a Japanese grass mat I used on bare floors too. I must have had some masochistic thing going on then.lol

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

We had a custom sized mattress with rounded corners made that we love. 1100 bucks

R&s mattress in phoenix.

We had a multilayer latex foam one made but they do all kinds

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH