You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

CB Not Working

The range of my CB is pitiful. I have heard it said this is typical of many Newells, but it is not obvious to me why that should be so.

I am at least going to try a new antenna and see if it helps - it sure cannot make things any worse.

So today I attacked the most likley looking of all five of the antennas on the roof of my Newell. Are you wondering why there are five, well I was for a while but here is the breakdown.

1. CB
2. FM
3. Cellular
4. XM
5. GPS

I removed what for me was the one in the center and more toward the rear of the coach than all the others. The connection looked a little nasty so I took it all apart and measured resistance between the center conductor and the shield. It seemed good to me - somewhat above 1/2 meg if I remember right. I then placed a jumper between the center conductor and shield ( all this with the CB disconnected from the antenna of course ) and on the other end of what I thought was the CB coax, noted about 1 ohm of resistance, so I had certainly found the correct cable.

Now I just need some direction of what antenna to try. Have any of you been down this road and have a recommendation for me? It has to be fairly short so I won't whack in too often, but if flexible enough it shouldn't hurt if it stick up above the exhaust stack which is presently the highest point of contact.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

hi russ, out of curiosity what cb unit is in yours?

in my 90 i put a new one in that had the main unit behind the dash and just a mike with all the controls on it visible. i am thinking of doing the same on my 02. the one i recently removed out of the 02 was mounted at my left leg and hit me on the leg.

i know our cb antenna is the short flexible one as well, but i dont know what one.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Cobra SoundTracker with all controls together with the mike. Very satisfied with that portion, so just need to solve the antenna.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004