You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant Filter

Hey folks: thinking of changing my engine coolant and installing need-release filter. Do those of you with V92 engines have these filters or not? If you do where are the connections made to the engine, I can't figure that out.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon, see if this link gives you the information you need: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/fo...php?t=1521

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon: Love your name. Anyhow, yup that is what I needed. Do you use this filter? Also, what coolant are you using as it seems that effects the filter selection.

Jon Kabbe

Might I suggest putting your valves near the engine supply and return rather than the filter head. In that manner, it allows you to change hoses if they become damaged in some manner. It is true that you will loose a cup or two of coolant every time you change filters. Check to see if your filter supplier has coolant test strips so you can keep a check on your molybdate and nitrite levels for optimum corrosion protection. Here is a link to Cummins's test strips: http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/pr...068-GB.pdf

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Jon, I am not sure which engine you have but if it is a wet sleeved cylinder engine, the chemical is critical to prevent the creation of bubbles adjacent to the cylinders which cavitate and will eat holes into the cylinders. The test strips will tell you the chemical balance, and if out of balance you can purchase the chemical to add to your system. You run the risk of destroying the engine if the chemical is missing for an unknown number of miles.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks guys: I've been using test strips for more than a decade between the 77 and 93 coaches. Only problem I experienced was Detroit Diesel selling me a bad batch. I don't know how old the coolant is in the 93 nor its type so I'm considering changing it. I may go extended life coolant, perhaps with a filter (with valves as Gordon suggested-great idea)

My engine is 8V92TA, love the sound but envy the fuel mileage of the S60.

Jon Kabbe

glad you are checking, I've seen a lot of damage from poor coolant maintenance and didn't want one of the Guru's to miss out on an important item.

I've been tied to Cummins most of my career and like their products but the Nalcool from DD works just as well.

I run Fleetguard DCA in my S60 and check the coolant annually or sooner with heavy duty ethylene glycol.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Those of us with 2-stroke engines really need to take great care with the cooling system as these engines are very prone to damage if overheated. I do my best to keep it up and so far I've had no problems, knock on wood and anything else handy.

Jon Kabbe