You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Windshield wipers

Driving in the rain yesterday my passenger side wipers stopped. It went all the way to the right. When it was running I could hear a click-clack sound and then it stopped. This morning I removed the dash cover and could see the motor, which is hard to get too. The driver side motor is much easier. I pushed the wiper back to the center of windshield and cut on the wipers and it went to right but did not come back. Probably the gears are shot. Has anyone had this problem and replaced the motor?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Did you tighten the nut? Mine did that and the nut was just loose enough for the wiper to quit.
On my '93 I had to pull the wiper blade off and clean and polish the bushing the shaft went through. Worked fine after that.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, the nuts are tight. It will be about a week before I get home and I will then pull the wiper off. Are the same motors used on a 93 that are used on a 99? These are Bosch motors. As long as the drivers side wiper works I can make out until I can get the passenger fixed. If it will just stop raining. I am in Ark. at a park and drove in yesterday after a two day drive from Santa Fe. Rained all day yesterday.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I had to add loctite to my passenger side wiper nut to keep it from doing that. I replaced my full units (Bosch motors/arms/blades) a few years ago and found the new ones didn't work a whole lot better than the original ones. I wish I had kept the old ones now as they are PRICEY.

Forest's suggest of cleaning and polishing the bushing is a good one, particularly is the coach spends much time near the coast or in damp areas. Those bushings will rust up and provide an enormous amount of friction for the motor to overcome.

I need to look at that circuit and see if I need to add additional relays and larger wiring to reduce voltage drop to the motors. Of course since yours is newer, you may have a different relay/wiring arrangement on yours.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

We had Newell fix ours a few years ago. They did not have a new motor in stock, but someone had a good used one hidden away somewhere there that is still working fine. I do recall seeing a link somewhere on the other forum that got you to a good supply for the wiper motors. I do remember that right and left are different from each other.

This company supplies almost every rv manufacturer.

http://www.amequipment.com/

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks to everyone for your help. When I get home I will check into this further. I do know that the motor will push the wiper away from the center of the windshield but will not bring it back so the motor might not be the problem. I do not know the exact working of this thing but probably will before it is over.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I find that it is a typical failure that the motor will push the wiper away from the center of the windshield and not bring it back. I suspect that the way the linkage is designed, the motor has more leverage when the wiper is close to the center. Either more torque (higher voltage to the motor) or less friction (rusted bushing, lubricating the pivot points on the wiper arms, etc) is needed.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, I guess one has to pull the motor to do this? Is that correct?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

The lubricating and bushing work can be done from the outside of the coach. If the voltage drop to the motors is excessive, larger gauge wire or additional relays would need to be installed to the motor. Getting the motors in and out is not an enjoyable task but getting to the wiring isn't terrible.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com