You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1983 38' For Sale

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1983-New...-113349477

$29,500

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Looks clean!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

That is a great looking coach. Love that paint job. Couple things I noticed. What's the deal with that huge rear bumper? Also Clarke and Keith did you notice these things:
-He has installed gas lifts or whatever they call them to lift the bay doors
-Note the shot of the bay with the fuel tank that it looks like they are exposed to the ground and there is no floor under it any longer. To Keith's previous point and someone else that noted it once before the wood floors are puzzling since they tend to rot out. Plus that foam I am sure is great insulation but for older coaches like ours I am sure begins to break down and catches and traps lots of moisture that promotes the rot and rust as well.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd,
It is common to have an open floor under the bay containing the LP gas tank. This allows any LP leaks to not be contained in the coach. My 1978 had steel bay floors with plywood lining them on the inside.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yep, the floor is open under my propane tank also, and I agree with the reason given for that.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

I would like to see pictures of the engine bay, but based on the other pictures of the water bay, through compartment, propane bay it looks like this coach has been taken care of. The interior looks very nice too......this coach is a good deal at $29,000. Of course, if I was in the market, and had a choice I'd take '2dogs' for $30,000....that is a killer deal for a great coach.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

[quote='whatsnewell' pid='18086' dateline='1414263372', if I was in the market, and had a choice I'd take '2dogs' for $30,000....that is a killer deal for a great coach.
[/quote]

Would you be worried about the 27 year old original 8V92 w 180k miles and no DDEC?
I know he takes good care and has knowledgable help.. However,recent horror stories has me a bit skiddish.

I do like 2dogs coach....

Jimmy

Jimmy, Running mechanical 8V92's are available for around 3K. Non-DDEC and 24V systems not hard to convert to 12V. They are military take outs so have been pretty well maintained. But I agree 2dogs is the better deal.

Yes the propane should always have a open floor in case of leaks.
The gas shocks on the bay doors is a nice touch, i plan on installing them on mine, also new latches.
Alot lot of ddec 1 have been taken out and replaced with the mechanical, they are more reliable. Ddec 2 were better i was told. I would much rather have a detroit over a 903 or a 555. My opinion thats the biggest downfall of the older Newells with those engines.
2dogs coach looks like a beauty for 30k, love the colors too. Im sure its a great buy.
This 83 has obviously had a ton of work done to it, alot of us know what it takes to get a coach of this vintage to the state it is now, one would have to take a closer look, if it had an 8.3 it would be alot less scary to buy plus the fuel savings would likely double. Maybe worth it if one were planning to repower one day and keep it. I prefer the single axle and inline 6 engine. The narrower coach and a little shorter makes it more maneuverable. But i dont live in mine either, its more of a holiday hotrod. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it and what your preferences are.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd