You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Changing sconce lights

A couple of days ago, it rained. Rained all day. Hard.

So I was stuck in the coach, and had some idle time to complete the install of led lights in place of the halogen. I remember Forest saying he couldn't get his hand in to change them in the sconces. I am talking about the black lacquer sconces common to many years of Newells.

I found a way.

First remove the sconce from the wall. There are two visible screws at the top, and on screw hidden underneath the reading light at the bottom. The reading light has to be removed to get to this screw. Once loose from the wall you will see that the halogen light inside the globe of the sconce is the same halogen fixture used throughout the coach. Although I carefully removed the halogen bulb using needle nose and a small rag, there was no way I was getting the led puck back in through the hole.

So, I took a pick with a right angle bend on the end and carefully pried the puck fixture out of the hole. It was not screwed in, but pressed in. I could generate enough slack in the cord to pull the entire fixture out through the access hole. Install led. Reinstall puck. Voila.

Just in case you get crazy on a rainy day.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard
How do you change the bulb in the reading light I can't figure it out?

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Are you messing with me?

If your question was what did you use? Then the answer is I found some leds that look like the form of a halogen on fleabay.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

No, I can't figure how to get into the reading light to change the bulb or is it a sealed beam?

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Can you take a picture of the light you are talking about? I thought you were talking about the reading lamps mounted on the sconce in which case the bulb pulls straight out. Obviously you are talking about a different light

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

These sconce lights a bizarre. I just replaced the two up facing halogens with nice warm white LEDs and the glove light with a different LED... That wasn't so bad.

I managed to figure out how to take apart the reading lights at the base of the sconce and have two of the 4 working. The non working one is getting power when the switch is on, but for some reason i see tiny sparks when i move it around. No light though. Weirdly they have what looks like a drill bit holding them to the sconce and wall. Stransge indeed.

The last reading light is just missing. Anyone know where to get one?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Rick, you probably already know this, but LED bulbs unlike incandescent bulbs, have negative and positive connections. If it doesn't work, turn it 180 degrees.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Yup... tried that already Smile I have a feeling it may be a pinched or stripped wire making contact intermittently.

I'll take it apart and do some testing. It's sure a weird design!

I mean a drill bit as a mount?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Has anyone managed to figure out what the source for these Spherical Reading Lights is? Manufacturer? I have the back half of my missing fourth one and the socket. Just missing the trim ring to be able to get it working again.

While at the factory I found out the a newell owner/sometimes worker designed these modern fixtures and I found a few of them (without the reading lights!) at the factory. Weirdly his coach was parked directly across from mine, but he wasn't there. ATM the name escapes me.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Are you talking about the lights on the flexible stalk? Or something else? The lights on the flexible stalk are made by Hella.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad