You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Seeking 2005-08 w/bunks or opposing sofas

After using our beloved Newell "General Lucy" for 6 months, we would like to upgrade to a quad slide w/bunks or possibly a quad w/ two opposing sofas. Price range would put us in the 05-08 years.

From my understanding, Newell did not make many bunk models until 2009 and they didn't seem too excited about a retrofit of an existing coach due to numerous reasons. (That could be a separate thread in and of itself.).

If there's any out there let me know.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Jason,

I had newell take out my desk & chair and add in a second (jackknife) sofa. (Also added a tv on lift behind new sofa). This means that I can sleep 6 depending on the size and friendliness of the people. I forgot your arrangement, but this sort of upgrade might be an option. Let me know and I will send pictures.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

09' maybe????? http://bus-stuff.com/2009NewellBunk_Newell1272.html

Jimmy

We've thought about taking desk out and putting sofa ithere but without 2 slides up front I'm afraid it would be too crowded when beds are out.

How long is your sofa where the desk was? I'd love to see pic

Jimmy - I love that coach. It would be perfect but I think it sold though and would be just a little out of our price range.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

In my coach, I had a desk and a chair, but could not sleep enough teenagers...so I added a couch. And since I added the couch, it made sense to fix something that had always bothered me. If the coach slides are "in" there was no way for more than one person to watch tv. Now, I still have TV over dash...but I also have a 55" LED that pops up from behind coach. It almost feels like a sports bar on game days.

When both couches are unfolded they touch in the middle which makes a giant bed (albeit with lumps). Far, far better than the inflatables that we had been using.

The new sofa (a jackknife) is approximately two dogs long.

When the slides are "in" there is about a foot and a half between the couches.

Enjoy!
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Well those are two big dogs - and they look like they have no issue sleeping on the sofa!

I love the TV behind the sofa - very good idea. But, where's the other one for the folks on the other sofa? Smile

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

The tv for the rest of the folks is above the dash. Is a 40" LED hooked to the over-the-road Directv antenna. I use it for non-SEC games. Smile I almost wish that I had gone for the 60" tv, but the 55" is great for the space.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Jason,

I would the last to talk you out of buying another coach. I do understand the sleeping space issue having two boys over 6 ft. In addition, Rhonda and I both desire horizontal TV watching (sleeping). Both of our Newells have had opposing couches.

Many times when just parking for the night we don't even bother to put the slides out. I can measure the distance between the couches if you would like, both upright and folded out for sleeping.

Are you mid door or front entry? For me that makes a huge difference. The mid door allows the bedroom sleepers easy exit in the mornings just in case the teenagers aren't ready to get up at dawn.

It's just something to think about.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Consider Fran's rule: No one under 25 allowed in the coach!

Richard

Mines a mid door. But my stairs curve towards the front of the coach as opposed to curving towards the rear. Thus my mid entry really eats into available space for a sofa.

I like mid entry though for lots of reasons including the reasons you mention.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff