You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Potential Huge Issue with Engine

I woke up today excited about the fact that our coach would finally be done with all the little fixes it was going through and heading to the paint shop for a beatiful new paint job. Well that came to a screaching halt with a call from the mechanics saying that after they dropped the oil pan to change it they found these brass shards in the pan (see the pic).

They are going to let everything drain out and tomorrow reach in and see if anything is loose or where this could come from. They fear it is a Wrist Pin Bushing. If so they are hoping they can isolate the damage to one cylindar on one side. worst case I am looking at a complete rebuild. They said that could be upwards of $25k. Tom was kind enough to connect me with his mechanic who agreed with their immediate plans.. However, he said he wants me to call back with their findings to comment more. he did say he can get rebuilt engines from a place in Missouri that he has had very good luck with for aboutn $18k. Unbeleiveable!! The mechanics asked if there was 40wt oil in the engine to which I replied no I dont think so because others told me not to use that and the guys in Texas seemed well versed in things.

Well I sent the head dude a text and he tells me they did in fact use 40wt. Now shame on me for not watching my own back, but given the fact they do this for a living shouldn't they have known this??

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

That sucks. Hope it turns out to be just a single cylinder rebuild, which would be my guess too... Good luck

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Todd, you are supposed to use 40 wt, so if that what was in it you are fine on that count, but I am so hoping it is not something major, but, obviously, big brass parts in the pan is not a good sign. You cannot use multi-grade in a 2 stroke unless the temperatures are consistently under freezing.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Actually they should have been using an Oil that is Approved for 2 Stroke Detroit Diesels. The 4 Stroke Engine does not have the same requirements.
Sorry to hear about this set back, something must have gone wrong since the last oil change otherwise possibly they should have given you a heads up.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Unbelievable, that the wrong Oil in short time could cause that Issue?
Good luck, hope all works out.
How was it running the last time it was started?

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

The guy from the garage in Lubbock just text me and said they used 15W 40. This is the guy who is supposed to know. I will check with the owner but I am sure he told me he used a single weight because he cautioned me on that as I recall. Now I have been doing some web surfing and frankly it confuses me more I think. I see people out there saying they have used multi weight and had no problems. In fact i should go back and look becasue i swear one person answering this was a Newell person who acknowledged this was not what Detroit recommended, but that they had thousands of hours experience and not issues.

So if the previous owner did what he was supposed tom and just these guys in Lubbock screwed it up for the 1,000 miles I drove home do you think that could have been enough? The shop here swapped it out right away and these are the guys preaching single weight so i know they used the correct oil.

Admin edit: Removed quoted content from another site to comply with DMCA CASE#16505
This content has been removed due to infringement

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

An oil sample sent to a testing lab such as Blackstone or others should be able to give the viscosity and prove whether it was mult wt. or single wt. Worth spending $25 bucks to prove your point.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

when i change the fluids on mine i take samples to the local CAT lab for analysis. i did it for the genny too the first time.

lets hope you can get what is broken fixed relatively cheaply

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

If you have a Detroit Diesel 6v92 or 8v92, doesn't matter what coach you have it must have straight 40 weight oil. The 4 strokes can use the blend.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

So sorry you are having this problem. In my case, I ran twin 2 cycle 6-71 Detroits for many years. Delo sells a special 40w oil designed especially for 2 cycle Detroits, and that is Delo 100, not 400.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica