You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to tow your Newell

I know this is a question that only comes up when you have a problem.

i thought it would be a good discussion on how to have your newell towed. i recognize that the different vintages and sizes of newells may have different optimum ways, but i thought we should have some ideas shared so others can find them easily.

i had my 1990 38' no tag towed when i had engine problems. they used a super big flatbed rig and used a winch to pull it up on the flatbed. they had to put a wheel in the trailer hitch to help it roll since it would have totally drug on the ground at the rear when they were tilting it as they pulled it up on the flatbed.

please others please share what you know to be the procedure for towing your coach.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We, so far, are fortunate to not have had our coach towed. I usually break down on the street in front of friend's homes, or in their driveways (Big Grin), but this is of interest to me, because some day we may not be able to avoid being towed. The closest I came was when the left front tire blew on our way home from my daughter's college graduation. AAA wanted to tow us to a facility to have the tire replaced, but Good Sam ERS sent a mobile service out, so I went with that....glad I did. Much less complicated. Obviously, if there is a tranny, or engine failure towing may become necessary. My coach did come with 2 large hooks that mount in receivers on the front of the coach. Each of these hooks weighs in around 40 lbs....they are heavy duty, but hope I will never have to use them!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

With the setback of front axle, it is best as Tom stated to use a landoll trailer. I know that I have those hooks- or rings in the front of my coach attached to the I-beams.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

I put this question to my service advisor when at the factory last time. He said, just call us, and we will work with the towing company.

While that is not as much information as I would have liked to have gotten, it is something I want to throw out for this discussion thread.

Maybe a calm experienced factory person could provide some much needed support at a time when I know I would be stressed to the max if I felt I was facing a tow. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Since our coaches range in height from 12'6" to 13'6" putting the coach on a trailer or a tilt-bed might not allow it to be towed under an underpass! The interstate hiways have underpasses every so many miles, what does the tow driver do?

I know that most of the underpasses have exits on each side allowing ingress/egress which would allow the tow driver to "go around" so to speak, but what happens if there are no exits?

That coach roof has to be 18' above the road surface!

Another point, if they tow you with rear wheels down wouldn't it be a good idea to have an air brake connection in the front of the Newell so that the wrecker could supply air to the supension of the Newell. The Newell engine may not be able to idle which would provide air to the air bags. I guess you could use the 120v auxillary air pump to keep them up! I am just thinking out loud here, bare with me!

My 1987 Newell had the 2 tow bar connections in the front; I think that would be the best way to tow a Newell. They were welded to the frame and appeared to be very strong!

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga - Totally agree with what you say. On our trip west we happened upon a very high load. It was probably a well planned route, but at each ( and we observed three ) overpass they would take the exit and then down the entrace ramp they would come. I hung back just to watch. I still remember thinking what happend if there there is an overpass and no exit. I have to assume they got to where they were going before that happened!

On the rear wheels down.... I have read somewhere there is some kind of tool that can force the drive axle cans open so the parking brake is not on. I may be all wet on that one. The othe big worry I would have is possible transmission damage. I think I would want my drive shaft removed - and that's probably no easy put at the side of the road. That's just one trip I hope I never have to take. The net is full of horror stories of tows gone bad. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

It is my understanding that all rear air brakes have a spring release tool mounted under the RV. However, without hydraulic lifting jacks, I do not see how anyone can get under there to loosen the springs. It is also my understanding that large tow trucks have auxiliary air available to both release the safety locks and inflate the air bags. I would like to know if the Newell 12v and/or 110v compressors will supply sufficient pressure to do this, and if they do, where do you make the connection. I hope I never need to know, but I would like to have in my files the style of lowboy that is required to handle the Newell. Kinda like a security blanket.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

You know, maybe it might be worth our time to visit a wrecker service for large vehicles. We could drive up in our Newell and have a chat with the wrecker service owner. That way he could examine our coach and give us some hints as to the best method of towing it. Depending on how interested he is in helping, he could answer some of our questions like the one in the previous post.

Talking to someone at Newell might also be helpful. I may ask Newell if there is a wrecker service close by Miami, OK that does their towing. I think that wrecker service would be a good place to start.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga,
Great idea! I'd be very interested in their opinion. This is what I would want--see link.

http://www.landoll.com/bushauler/

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Tom, thanks a bunch for the photos towing your '90 on the Landoll. There are many questions, some you may can answer. Obviously, there is one in Phoenix, but I wonder if there are readily available elsewhere. Did the tow truck provide air to the coach, can the Landoll handle 25 tons that is 45' long, and did you need the rollers attached to back of the '90? We all hope to never need towing, but best to have some knowledge when the time comes. Again, thanks

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica