You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Vibration

I think o got to bad Walmart gas somewhere.. What additive should we lose

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Central Petroleum Company makes several that I have used for 30 years.

http://www.cen-pe-co.com/

You probably need chemistry (surfactants)  that will help move water through the system.
 CenPeCo is a relatively small company. I would guess that if you call them they can recommend the best product and direct you to where to purchase. They cater to industry and Agriculture and they are not real "flashy" but excellent quality.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Do you have a fuel tank sump drain? If you have sat a few hours you may be able to drain off some of the water... You can get something to take care of the water in any big truck stop.. Then research for the best for you.. I got iced up during the big cold spell a couple weeks ago .. Limped into a station.. Got it going with some additives.. I had bought fuel at that cheap diamond station going n out og OKC on i35..

Jimmy

Ok, I am in the minority here. Don't put any additives in the tank to absorb the water. Why? The additive is methanol. Methanol is a polar solvent meaning one end of the molecule will attach to hydrocarbons and one end will attach to water. Sounds good right. Except methanol is only soluble to a very small percentage in diesel or gasoline. Put in too much(and who would do that? thinking more is better) and now you have methanol/water mixture sitting at the bottom of your tank. That mixture won't pass through the filter any better than water.

If you think I'm full of it. Try this. Put some diesel in a clear jar. Add a ounce of water. Let it sit. You can see the water on the bottom. Now add 1/2 ounce or so of your preferred water absorber. Tell me what you see on the bottom of the jar.

Do what Jimmy said. Let the coach sit, preferably with the tank drain a little downhill. Drain a little fuel. Carry a couple of filters and some unopened ATF for priming the filter. Keep changing them until it clears up.

Do you a Racor filter? it should be trapping water, you can drain the filter to release the water.

I'm not anti additive. But additives won't solve a water contamination problem. They are great for lubricity, cetane boosting, and killing algae.

My grandad told me water and oil don't mix, my chemical engineering professors told me why.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One question . I changed fuel filters and when it started the fuel showed about 1 inch in the sight glass.. Now I see no fuel.. That seems odd

Marc Newman

(01-24-2015, 07:05 PM)OYachts Wrote:  One question . I changed fuel filters and when it started the fuel showed about 1 inch in the sight glass.. Now I see no fuel.. That seems odd

You have air in your filter..that's why Richard mentioned ATF ..You fill the filter before installing.. Filter works better that way   

This is the additive I use.. It separates the water so your filters/separator can catch it.. 
http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php
The only time I've had problems is this year when I got lazy and didn't put it in..  
It's also important to drain the tank sump on a regular basis. 
There is a whole discussion to be had on how water gets in the stations fuel.. But temp settle time has a lot to do with it.  On my jet fuel tank farm..we let it settle 8 hr before pumping into the trucks...n sumped daily..

Jimmy

I filled it half full of fuel when I started. The fuel showed till after a 10 mile run.. Should I go ahead and fill the bowl all the way up. .

Marc Newman

A couple thoughts; you do not want the water to work its way through the system nor in any way help it to do so. When water gets to the injectors it will blow off the tips. It did this to an injector on my 77 coach according to the mechanic that replaced the injector. If he was correct we need to focus on getting the water out of the system and preventing it from reaching the injection system. It is for just this reason that fuel filters are designed to trap water and theoretically should close off completely when full of water.

If your filter is the Davco with the transparent top, a new filter should -according to manufacturer's literature, show very very low fluid level when clean and the level rises as the filter accumulates contaminants. So, if the filter element is installed properly there should be no concern with a low visible fuel level, it's actually an indication that all is well. However, I have read a number of people reporting that the level rises far faster than they believe should be happening with good fuel, so it raises a question of whether a high level means it's time to change the filter element.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

The fuel level in mine at 10k was 3/4 high. That is exactly what Newell told me. It is a visible sign of clogged the filter is. Of course it was changed on their recommendation. I did not know the operational specifications however 1300 miles later it was only an inch of fuel to be seen.

Richard: What do you use fir additive?

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Marc If you have a Davco filter maybe this will answer your question about the fuel level and service.

http://www.davco.com/forms/tech/F1271.pdf

Jimmy