You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Dryer Replacement

Yesterday I started the engine to exercise the leveling and other systems. After 5 minutes the rear wouldn't come up all the way and I started to hear a rhythmic air spitting noise from the tag axle area. turned out it was the main air dryer. Not the filter, which is only a year old and in fine condition, it was the spring mechanisms inside sticking, so instead of cleaning it bought a new one at a truck parts place here and installed the whole new one. $401.01 out the door and 45 minutes of greasy filthy yckkkk....Have replaced almost my entire air system. Only a few fittings to go.lol.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

i had to replace mine as well.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Did you remove the tag wheel or work around it?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Worked around it. Way to much hard work for a weakling like me to take off that wheel. It was easy, Just raised the coach all the way up with the 110 compressor and a couple of jack stands later there was plenty of room and road grease to accommodate just about anyone.

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

(02-01-2015, 09:01 AM)lbrachfe Wrote:  Worked around it. Way to much hard work for a weakling like me to take off that wheel. It was easy, Just raised the coach all the way up with the 110 compressor and a couple of jack stands later there was plenty of room and road grease to accommodate just about anyone.

I have done the same way as Larry

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I recently noticed that when I cranked the engine and air pressure started building....I would hear the air dryer pop off would happen then sometimes (rarely) I would hear four or five more pops.

Is this a sign of an air dryer getting ready to fly south?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

That was my scenario Bill... It did the spitting as it's called because something inside is sticking. There are springs and valves inside the assembly that go bad and mine was original. The dryer filter I had was fine but the new assembly comes with one attached so now I have a replacement for next year or ?. After awhile the spitting won't stop and the rear of the coach will only lift halfway and you know it's time to replace it. Newell says you can clean them but suggests replacement when leaking from the spitter.

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

Where's the best location to place the jack stands and what type/rating jack stands are y'all using? I'm trying to get the right tools to do most of my own maintenance. Thanks

1995 #398 45' SOLD

Bill:
I got mine from Gray Manufacturing in St. Louis. 25 ton rating. I got two short and two that are taller. Also got the 25 ton air bottle jack with the handle and on wheels.
I put the tall one's under the bracket on the frame for the tag axle swing arm, between the tag and drive wheels. I put the short stands under the two skids at the front.

Thanks,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

An air compressor going south can cause sticking issues with the air dryer also. Having motor oil where the dryer vents is an indication that your air compressor might be going bad. I cleaned the air dryer and replaced the air compressor to fix my problem.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad