You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Motorized awning for driver's side

I would like to install a motorized awning to replace the 158" ZipDee awning.  Dometic, Carefree of CO, and ZipDee all use 12v power.  Before I give serious consideration, I have to find 12v at the awning location.  Does anyone have an idea of how to do this?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Newell could provide the schematic for the elec in your roof, but you still would need to run wire down to the master control box.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

(02-07-2015, 12:55 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I would like to install a motorized awning to replace the 158" ZipDee awning.  Dometic, Carefree of CO, and ZipDee all use 12v power.  Before I give serious consideration, I have to find 12v at the awning location.  Does anyone have an idea of how to do this?

What floor plan do you have? On my 96 my washer and dryer were on that side and I came from there. You should have no trouble in locating 12v source.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Chester if you don't have motorized blinds inside on the windows on that slide there should be spare wires behind the valence/window covering panels with 12 volts. They may not be powered up, meaning you might need to connect the other end or just plug in a fuse if you're lucky.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, I have motorized blinds, but I found another solution. I can run 12v wires alongside the accent string light which is exactly where I would exit the coach just above the windows and connect the new awning. I can install the controls in the box located above the driver's seat. Next week I will get more information on which awning I will buy, but most likely ZipDee. I want one with wind controls. I could find nothing on the internet regarding what Girard has to offer. If anyone has installed a motorized one, please post the information.

To manually operate the one I have, I have to dig out my step stool and move it to three locations, often at night or in the rain.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester, so your awning is about 13'? Just asking because the Canadians are also considering a new awning although they may be looking for something a little longer.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

On the carefree awning on their website they offer a vinyl and a acrylic. could someone explain the difference. The installers have given me a price over the phone for a 21 foot installed travel'r for $1500.00. They are stopping in on Monday to clarify some questions that I have.

My awning is 13'2", and ZipDee has quoted $1,626 for their motorized Evolution Series. Next week they are to call me back to see if they can motorize my existing awning. Also next week I will get information from Dometic and Carefree's Marquee awning, and I will post my findings. Mnhoff, what is the name of the awning Carefree quoted which seems like a good price for a 21' motorized awning.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

My post #5 above is wrong, my error. The accent string lights are mounted to the body, not the slide. I am back to square one, and I need to figure out a 12v power source before I can buy a motorized awning. Any advise would be appreciated.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

I have been working with ZipDee to produce a kit to convert my window awning on the drivers side to an electric awning. Today they informed me that they have developed the kit which utilized my existing awning and roller. The kit is designated as part #231500 and is a new product. I have ordered the kit at a cost of $487 + shipping to Tucson. They say that I can handle the installation very easily. The present coil spring is discarded and new arms are included with the kit.

For 12v power, I plan to connect to the wiring going to the reading light just above the dinette which is backed up with a 20 amp fuse, and is reasonable close to where the awning wires enter the coach. The awning motor used 3 to 5 amps. ZipDee has asked that I take photos of the installation for their advertising, which I will also post here. It may be a few weeks before I do the installation.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey