You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Closed

Will you help me with a Non-Newell question?

I hope my first post is not inappropriate!

Newell Guru’s has been recommended to me a number of times as a place to find quality answers from people who know about quality motor-coaches.  I have hesitated to make a post because my question is not about Newell.  My hope is you will find my post to be well meaning and well intended!

I have known people through the years who have owned Prevost’s, Newell’s and Blue Bird Wanderlodge.  I’ve been in their coaches and sat in on many conversations that were informative and at times shall we say somewhat animated!  

From those conversations and things I’ve learned from the forums.  A semi-monocoque chassis is the single most important issue to the allover quality. Including ride, interior quite, mechanical and long term strength.

My wife and me are retired and plan to travel and live in our coach a minimum of 6 months a year.  At this point we have no plans to sell our home but who knows what the future will bring.  We know couples who live in their coaches year around who believe its as close to heaven on earth as you can get.  We have family and friends all over the country and cannot think of a better way to visit them.  And to be in our own place while doing so would be great.

We are looking for a 2005 to 2010 coach and that is the reason why I’m unable to include Newell in my search.  My company financing the coach will not accept a coach over 10 years old and my budget is $200,000.00. Two coaches I know I cannot get because of years and dollars is Newell and Prevost.

Coaches I am looking at are those having the semi-monocoque chassis.  I understand them to be Monaco and Country Coach, (I understand not all Monaco and Country Coaches have semi-monocoque chassis and I’m looking into those models that do), Beaver and Blue Bird Wanderlodge.

My interest is in a 43 to 45 foot coach (prefer 45) and a bath and a half.

As I am interested in all of your comments, I am especially interested in “any reason you would not select a given coach, model or year”?

Thank you all so much for any help and I apologize if I’ve taken advantage of your good will as that is certainly not my intent!

H.J

You know the forum is always willing to help individuals who are straightforward and truthful.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Welcome to the forum!
I would try to avoid any coach with laminated sidewalls or a rubber roof. The only brand that I would consider that is no longer in business would be Blue Bird.
H.J, you offered specific parameters within your question that I have tried to consider. Everybody's financial situation is unique but I would respectfully offer that it might be worthwhile to search for any other options that might include a Newell over 10 years old.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

You can try to negotiate a bit with the financing institution explaining what a "Newell" really is. Since they have no "Bluebook" valuation, perhaps they would accept an appraisal from a reputable 3rd party like an non-involved high-line coach sales company or dealer. You might also try shopping your financing around a bit. There are definitely some very high quality coaches a bit older than your 2005 cut-off that are bargain priced (Forest & Cindy's comes to mind). I would much rather have a 20 yr old Newell than most other brand new coaches. I feel that in another 15 yrs the Newell will still be a well functioning machine whereas the newer mass produced unit will pretty much be rattled apart. Take a look at some 25-30 yr old coaches of several different b rands to get this into the proper perspective. Bells & whistles can always be added on later as long as you have a good solid platform to add them to.

It has been many years since I attempted to get a loan on an RV, regardless of the age. While I understand that getting a loan on an RV is not the easiest thing to do, if you do some searching of the internet, you will find leads on companies that are more likely to make loans on older RV's. Home equity loans in many cases might also make sense. Checking with a credit union might be another financial source. Certainly, the better your credit score, the easier the task may be.

Try using a search engine (your favorite or one like duckduckgo) searching for loans for motorhomes over 10 years old. Also consider an older motorhome that might include some owner financing. That certainly reduces the available options but isn't unheard of to have some owner financing with a good down payment.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

At a 2005 you are only a model year or two away from getting to around $200,000 for a newell.   The old adage "price is what you pay.  Value is what you get" really applies with your situation.  There are plenty of $200,000 Newells that are better values than coaches costing much more that are newer.   10 years is such an arbitrary number.  A well maintained newell (or prevost) at 11-13 yrs is often time a better value than another newer coach of the same price.  Lenders do not always understand this.  

With all that said, I too would avoid fiberglass walls and rubber roofs.  At 6 months plus of usage per year, your usage of every thing from heating system to door knob swill be high, so factor in things like everyday wear and tear on doors, cabinets, heating system, water system, toilets, etc.   

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

There are some dealers that have relationships with lenders that do understand the true value of a Newell and may offer financing on an older coach. Motorhomes of Texas is one such dealer and currently has 5 Newells from 1998 (mine) to 2007 models ranging in asking price from $134,500 to $549,000. Speak with Jason Haskins and he can better explain financing. The only other motorhome I or many others would consider is Foretravel. The Foretravel factory is in Nacodoches and MOT usually has quite a few used ones on their lots. One thing to consider also is the access to the engine compartment, aqua hot, and other systems that will need to be worked on whether you do it yourself or pay someone. Country Coach is a nice coach but the engine access is very limited. Newells have much better access on the engine and other systems. You can read through the forum and see similar questions asked and answered about why Newell is much better than other brands and why we consider an older Newell a much better buy than a new or newer other brand.
Newell has absolutely the best factory support in the business and is available 24/7/365.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I lied to you guys and its only right that you know it. I logged in on the handle of H.J but I have actually been on the forum as Foodsman. My reason for the falsehood is unnecessary for a lie is a lie no matter how you direct it.

In full disclosure I am writing this because someone on the forum new it was me and brought it to my intention. As much as I’d like you to think I was telling you this on my own, it would not be true!

This will be my last post on the forum as well it should be! I can only ask for your forgiveness!

This was sure creepy !

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I'm speechless. Looks like Richard spotted the truth. I think this guy has abused his welcome and has inundated us with a string of useless questions that collectively took a lot of time to answer. If he comes back on, I will respond to him no more.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Thread Closed