You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rear Axle Covers

Anyone have a clue where to find replacements for these old rusted dudes? I have searched high and low and been to several truck places and people seem stumped by these. Most just have ones that bolts and lugs go thru not these top hats that fasten with 4 allen screws.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Looks like they are an early production of these.

http://tkane.com/

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Yikes that's expensive. The front ones which Newell did have in stick were only 9.99 each. Hmmm. $200 each. I may need to see what mine look like from a distance after some steel wool. Is it possible to existing covers rechromed for less money?

What do you guys use to clean the wheels themselves. Mine are Alcoa and they look almost like annodized chrome. The guys from Zip Dee awnings told me not to steel wool my annodized awning arms but rather use a non oil based silicone to shine them.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd, I use Mothers Aluminum Polish....takes a lot of elbow grease, but they come out looking great. I've never seen axle covers like those before.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(09-20-2012, 06:20 AM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Todd, I use Mothers Aluminum Polish....takes a lot of elbow grease, but they come out looking great. I've never seen axle covers like those before.

Blue Magic

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Clarke send me a pic of yours would ya?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

i use blue magic as well. i am sure the others are great products too. blue magic is easily purchased at any of my local autoparts chain stores so i use it. i had my wheels done on my 90 one time by a detailer and that is what he used and they shined like a mirror. it is too much work for me to do by hand so i use a wool ball in an electric variable speed drill to polish the wheels with. then hand polish with a microfibre cloth. the first time it will take a while, but then be much easier after that. i have bought different size wool balls to go in the chuck of the drill at various places. not hard to find.

i have never seen the wheel covers you have before either, but to be honest i am not looking at them very closely. i was more than shocked when i found out how much the wheel covers are. i also looked locally and couldnt find them.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I think the covers are one of those things that you get what you pay for. When I looked at them for my Country Coach back in 2003 they cost almost twice as much. They are stainless steel and easy to keep clean & shiny. Christmas is coming. Suck it up & get up on the fat man's lap.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Hi Flick,,, I've never seen those before. Are they Alcoa wheels? One thing you might consider is having them powder painted. There are some new colors that look similar to chrome or polished aluminum.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I replaced my rear derbys and caps on the rear of my old 74' , got them from one of the chrome truck parts suppliers.. cost me about $80 total.. had to remove 3 lugnuts to install.... just saying...

Jimmy