You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Flooring

Folks, If you are contemplating a flooring makeover, I can help:  product selection, colors, installation tips.
I'm not soliciting work, as I'm booked solid till next year. I can help you save some serious cash- unless you want to spend some really serious cash- and I'll clear my calendar.  Big Grin
Ernie

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

My wife was talking about that tonight..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

What would be the best flooring to put down if you have three 65 pound dogs?

Hay?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Erniee, Richard and I are both pursuing a laminate flooring that will work with the HWH slide system. There is only about a 1/4" to work with and Newell will not install anything other than carpeting. Have you had an opportunity to install anything in a Newell with this slide mechanism?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(02-28-2015, 08:16 AM)folivier Wrote:  Hay?

Hay what?

Chester,

Ernie was kind enough to share a few tips with me. I have the flooring I am going to use. It will be a month before we are home and I can do the install. I suspect I (we) are going to learn a ton about what does and does not work with the flat floor HWH slides.

I am using LVT luxury vinyl plank. I chose a Mohawk brand that is 100% vinyl. There is no composition content. I chose that for the maximum resistance to moisture and temperature sensitivity. The planking I have is 10 mm thick, or just a hair over 3/8 thick.

The challenge will be to keep the slide floor level low enough not to scrape, and match the existing height of the granite that will remain in the kitchen.

Stay tuned. I am having to exert an unusual amount of self restraint not to tear out the carpet and start, but I think being at home and having access to routers, band saws, and what not will be better than doing it on the road. As far as suitability for critters with claws, I can't say. Tuga had installed LVT in the bedroom, and it has held up well. My initial impression is the LVT would hold up better than wood to critters, since the LVT does not have a clear finish on top to show any scratch.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks, I am anxiously waiting to see the results.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I laid the cheap Vinyl Plank that I got from one of the Hardware Warehouse stores in our Head. I picked it because it has an adhesive on the underside, this way it may not allow moisture to collect in that area. Not sure that I want it throughout the coach but not sure that I don't just yet.
I am laying a Vinyl Plank in the '58 18' Airstream. I chose it so that I can easily lift it and check the Sub Floor and or replace it if there were any issues (having stated this I guess that I just decided to use the same stuff throughout the Newell!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

My '58 Airstream project has had a failure with the flooring. I was trying to use a "floating" vinyl plank flooring but it has separated in a few spots. Not sure why but I am thinking it is due to the temperature swings up here at 6500', typical to see 30 degree swings.
I talked to Richard the other day to get some advice and he shared what Ernie told him. I will now be gluing it down even tough it is the "click" style, this is how I made repairs prior to deciding to start over. I found a newer product at Lowes called SMARTCORE and it has a much better locking profile than the cheaper stuff I got at Lumber Liquidators that failed.

I am sharing this because it is a learning curve....very happy that I am working with a smaller project with the Airstream Trailer prior to pulling the carpeting on the Newell and wasting allot of $$$$!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch