You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Batteries fried

bill, i replaced that starter right after i got the coach.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My old bus-nuts friends would build a fire in a shallow metal pan with charcoal briquettes and let it burn til it was smoldering and white. Then they would slide it under the engine.....I wouldn't recommend that!
I would recommend a salamander type kerosene heater blowing through the radiator for a while. Open the "grill"/door in front of the radiator first if you have that option. Don't get it too close though..........

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Anything you can do to warm the engine and batteries is worth doing especially when it's really cold. And the colder it is the harder it is to do all the stuff.

On the old 6-71's in some of our buses they had small footballs of ether you would put in a metal cup on the air intake. The metal cup had a sharp edge inside it that would open the football for a measured dose of ether. When there was no electricity for pre-heat this was standard practice for winter starting.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Well, I have got all of the materials in place and will head to the  barn tomorrow to hopefully get this coach started. I have two kerosene blast furnaces in place, disconnected and remove the AGMs and have two reagular lead batteries standing by.  I will warm up the block spme time tomorrow AM but it is cold again tonight  1 degree. Will keep you all updated...thanks for all the great guidance hopefully it will work.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

One additional thought, is the coolant freeze protected down to the temps you are seeing?

I attended a seminar that was put on by Interstate Batteries. Their representative stated that Flooded Lead Acid Batteries could Freeze if Discharged, and if anything was taken out or put into them the could explode. He also stated that AGM Batteries would not have this problem because of the construction (only stating what was presented so take this with a grain of salt!!)

I would also be concerned over the Fuel Diesel Fuel Can Gel at temps around 17-18 Degrees F. There is an additive for it but now would be too late;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gel_point_%28petroleum%29

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Well,

after 4 hrs of two 125,000 btu blast heaters and replacing the house batteries I was able to get her to start and she aired up with no problems...drove her for a couple of hours and filled her up with fresh winter diesel....I have tires aired up trailer aired up but will definitely be staying at locations with 50 amp service as I do not have a working genny...Am making an appointment with Emergency Power (generator guys) in Tulsa to have them get the genny working....All this would have been alot easier with a heated garage and genny. Without the amps my electric bay heaters were useless...Thanks for all the support guys..this is one special group of people. I'm headed to Altus AFB Oklahoma for the next year and am going to live in my coach so if you are ever in the neighborhood drop buy for a cold one and a bite.

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Outstanding bill. Have a safe trip. Call and chat anytime

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Glad you got her goin' , Bill. Safe travels. What is your route?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Filters, Filters Filters!
Glad all worked out!!!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch