You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Algicide

What algicide does everyone use for their fuel and where do you get it?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc, any marine supply house will have it.  I bought some several years ago and don't remember brand, but any good supply house will be able to help you.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

BioBore biocide at Academy Sports and Outdoors. Always in my tank when I return home from a trip and the coach will be parked for a while.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

I've used a couple brands. Picked up some at truck stops, at the local auto parts store and at Fleetpride truck part stores. I don't worry particularly about the brand, perhaps I should, but I haven't heard enough comparison proof to figure it's worth worrying about. I do use it regularly when stored.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I use "Fuel Prep 1000". Purchased two cases at Detroit dealership.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Do you all use biocides for a reason? I know when I was a boater my boat would always have biocide treatment. Of course, the marine environment is so much worse than the environment our RVs are subjected to. Large boat tanks are subjected to far greater temperature swings and the tank vent rest not far from water adding to the likelihood of humidity adding to the problems. Even most marina fuel tanks are subjected to far more harsh environments given so many are still exposed above ground tanks.

In the thousands of miles I've driven my coach I have never pulled a Racor primary filter black with the crap biocides are designed to prevent. My coach does sit for months and I'm not one that keeps my tank full, like I was as a boater. Having done the Alaska trip I would imagine some of the stations I had to use probably don't have the best of fuels. Still, nothing visible in the Racors. I don't know if you are using steel tanks, I know my Prevost tank is some poly material. Maybe, that makes a difference.

Gil Johnson
99 Prevost Conversion

I treat my fuel when I store the coach for more than a month.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

I spoke with a gentlemen Cen-Pe-Co a few weeks back, and I asked about a algicide. His statement was you -have- to have water in the fuel for the algae to grow. The algae can only grow between the water and the fuel. His statement was no water - no algae.

YMMV

Marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

marc, I do not think it is correct that water has to be present. I would research before taking the chance. Even if it is, I will still use algicide and fill my tank every time I put the coach into storage. How can one be sure there is no water at the bottom of the tank?

marc, I do not think it is correct that water has to be present. I would research before taking the chance. Even if it is, I will still use an anti-algae chemical and fill my tank every time I put the coach into storage. How can one be sure there is no water at the bottom of the tank?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

marc, I do not think it is correct that water has to be present. I would research before taking the chance. Even if it is, I will still use an anti-algae chemical and fill my tank every time I put the coach into storage. How can one be sure there is no water at the bottom of the tank?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey