You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Quickie step problem

1999 Newell #510
Our entry door step hits the ground sometimes after leveling the coach.
I assume its because the coach lets all corners down to the level of the lowest corner when leveling but this results in the step sometimes hitting the ground when we are parked. It happens whenever the campsite isn't really close to being level.
Has anybody else had this problem?
Any suggestions for adjustment of the coach or the step? I don't think I can raise the coach after it's been leveled with the HWH system?
Any way to keep the step in the UP position with the door open (since the coach is already close to the ground)?
Has anybody changed out their step for the drawer style step the new coaches use?
Thanks!
Jonathan Shetler

Jonathan Shetler
1999 Newell 510
Ft Lauderdale, FL

You should have a switch at the entrance to stop the step from going out. You need to try to find more level lots if you are having the step touch the ground. I have had both steps and really have never experience  with either the problem you are having. I assume your steps are 2 steps KIWI and a mid entry coach? I had the HWH and you can manual level the coach and level as high as you want. 

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

The newer steps require quite a bit of modifications from what I understand and cost close to 10k I have heard. I think they are made for newell.

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Jonathan, at certain sights when I level my coach the steps are really close the the ground.  What I started doing, if the sight is level, is just leave the coach in travel mode and don't worry about it.  I have found that it will  stay at that level are close to it for a couple of weeks or if it does lose a little air it comes down at about the same on all four corners.  Also if I need to level the coach and the steps are really close to the ground, like really so close that when you start the engine they want close without rubbing the ground, I just leave the door open until the coach comes to travel height then close the door.  This is something I've learned to live with.  It seem that Newell's really like to get low to the ground when you hit the level mode.
You can raise the coach after it is in level mode by hitting emergency stop and hit raise without starting the engine with the key on. My 120 volt compressor will raise the coach.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Since the HWH leveling system starts by letting air out to level, I have found it best to put the coach at maximum "raise" level before letting the HWH take over.  This always works for me.  Several  places require many boards under the wheels to begin with.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

The new style steps are really cool but I cannot justify $10K!
I have a switch but it will not keep the steps in…it will only make them stay out when the ignition is off vs run in/out every time the door is opened/closed when the ignition is off. With the ignition on it makes no difference and cannot keep them in regardless of position.
I've seen steps similar to the new Newell style that run out like a drawer on other brand coaches and they look like they may be an easier fit (smaller).
The last coach I saw with them was a late Monaco.
I have two steps, quickie brand and mid-entry.
I plan to try raising the coach up before leveling as Gordon recommends next time I have a problem.
This is more of a distant project / dream for me!

Jonathan Shetler
1999 Newell 510
Ft Lauderdale, FL

We are in a very un-level, dirt/gravel site in Hannibal, MO and when I got here I leveled with the door closed like normal.
The levelers did their job and dropped the coach in the dirt and then raise it up. At that point we opened the door and the steps stuck in the ground.
They worked fine for a while like that but at some point the coach must have lost some air and dropped or re-leveled itself. The pins on the upper step were forced out and the upper step dropped when I stepped on it last night. So now I have a dangling first step and we can't really move the coach because the steps would drag the ground. I will use big zip ties to hold the step up for now but need to have the pins stamped back in. I may use some bolts in the mean time. I was thinking this might be a good chance to pull the steps and have them heated and bent back to straight along with being re-powder coated or painted. I miss the single, drop-down air step (although most of the time it would stay in the down position!) on the Wanderlodge as these steps always creak and don't feel very secure to walk on. I guess the lesson learned is always insist on a level sight!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I think you bring up an excellent point. If anyone finds the step close to the ground after leveling, you might want to consider what will happen if the coach either relevels if the HWH system is left on, or sinks due to an air leak. The steps don't stand a chance against the weight of the coach.

The steps do not have to be heated to bend the arms. I know. A five foot ong bar works just fine.

Use shoulder bolts instead of pressing the pins/rivets back in. It will be an upgrade. Might want to check for clearance when the arms swing in to make sure a bolt head will clear.

Sorry you miss your Wanderlodge.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the great advice on Shoulder bolts Richard! Now all I have to do is figure out what exactly a Shoulder bolt is! lol
I will try the pry bar method...
And no, I really don't miss the Wanderlodge that much because the Newell does things simpler and more elegantly but there are times when a redundant system would be nice...
Let me state again that after 4 other brand coaches: WE LOVE THIS NEWELL!!!
aha! Amazon to the rescue (I have to measure it to be sure):
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Shoulder...ulder+bolt

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Now the rest of us know what one is.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica