You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shore/Gen Controller

I wanted to post this in case it could help someone.
While we were at the River we started to have Electrical issues. I would leave the A/C on when we left and when we returned there was no power?
Here is what Newell installed in our '82 (this is before I started work)

I then made a Schematic (I'll post that as soon as I can). But the Shore Power comes in from the right to the Top Relay and the Generator comes in from the right to the Bottom Relay.
The Relays are wired so that both can not be energized at the same time by Normally Closed Contacts so that when say the Shore Power Relay is Energized the Switch is Held Open on it so that the Generator Relay cannot be Energized, here is a pic of the Relay showing the Auxiliary Normally Closed Contact.

After I opened the Relay

I could see the problem, the Center Contacts had overheated from 33+ years of service and were actually lower than the others, pic is a little out of focus but if you look close you can see the problem with the center contacts.

Luckily for me I bought a spare years ago and was able to replace the Relay with a new one from my spares, I'll post the numbers right after I buy another spare.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

(04-02-2015, 08:19 AM)prairieschooner Wrote:  I wanted to post this in case it could help someone.
While we were at the River we started to have Electrical issues. I would leave the A/C on when we left and when we returned there was no power?
Here is what Newell installed in our '82 (this is before I started work)

I then made a Schematic (I'll post that as soon as I can). But the Shore Power comes in from the right to the Top Relay and the Generator comes in from the right to the Bottom Relay.
The Relays are wired so that both can not be energized at the same time by Normally Closed Contacts so that when say the Shore Power Relay is Energized the Switch is Held Open on it so that the Generator Relay cannot be Energized, here is a pic of the Relay showing the Auxiliary Normally Closed Contact.

After I opened the Relay

I could see the problem, the Center Contacts had overheated from 33+ years of service and were actually lower than the others, pic is a little out of focus but if you look close you can see the problem with the center contacts.

Luckily for me I bought a spare years ago and was able to replace the Relay with a new one from my spares, I'll post the numbers right after I buy another spare.

Great post, great timing... My brother and Dad's 84' just had the same problem today. We will use your input to guide us and the tech tomorrow. Thanks again!

Hopefully this information will help you and others with repairs. The Relay was discontinued although I found one on ebay. Just make sure you find a 50 Amp 3 Pole Relay with a 120 Volt Coil, the Auxiliary Contact can be moved to the new relay.
Here is a Schematic of what is inside that Relay Box. I'll PM you my number in case he has any questions.

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

My relays are somewhat different than yours but, at a glance, the wiring looks the same.

I had debris (and a burned contact) get into one of my Auxiliary Contractors which kept my generator from powering the coach. Took it apart and cleaned it out, but went ahead and replaced it as a safety measure. Those things always happen when it is over 100 outside.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I'm sure that Heat contributed to our failure as well Michael.
PS I did not include the indicator light wiring in my schematic. It would only make confusing and by now not all of the lights are working. I normally turn everything off and check the volt meters prior to turning things on.

Next I will be installing a 50 amp surge protector. I'll post pics here for that as I progress.