You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to remove undermount sink?

Rhonda has me doing a little remodel. So as I started to replace the bathroom sink, I ran into the Newell way of doing things. I think they used a 55 gallon drum of silicone to undermount the existing sink to the granite. It would not come loose. I was hesitant to pry too hard because the granite is only 1/2 thick. They do that that to cut weight as opposed to the 1 inch granite normally used.

The strength of the integral sink was just too much to break loose. So I thought what if I break the existing sink in pieces. That first blow with the ball peen hammer had a certain body restriction in full on mode.

I am happy to say the granite did not crack, and I was able to get the individual pieces loose.

And of course the final result.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That is gorgeous. I need to hide this from Alie or she will want a similar one. Glad to know how to break it loose as I have to replace our kitchen sink.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Love the hammered copper

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc,

I don't know why the pic looks copperish. Probably the tungsten filament in the bathroom lights. The fixtures are chrome and the sink is hammered stainless. Hopefully it won't show toothpaste like the black one that was in there.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

you guys use toothpaste? I thought you lived in WV!

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Hi Richard, I'm undertaking the same project in my coach. Breaking up the old sink seems necessary also because it won't fit through the cabinet door opening below. But the new sink is shallower and seems like it will fit going in. Is that the way it worked out for you?

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

You are asking about something that happened four yrs ago, LOL.

I don’t know about taking it out having a restriction, it was in pieces. I don’t recall having a problem getting it in. I may have had to remove the intermediate shelf to give myself a little room. Look for screws buried in the carpet.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Richard, I went for it, and the demo went well. New sink fits! Off to the Home Depot for fresh drain lines.

New sink - Kohler "Verticyl"

Nice....

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad