You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AquaHot Exhaust Piping

I am thinking about replacing the AquaHot exhaust pipe that runs under the coach. I am pretty sure I have a little leak right near where the insulated run connected to the pipe portion near where the AquaHot exhaust comes through the body floor.

If anyone has done this job, please give me your advice and experience. I am wondering about the material in the insulation right now. Do you know if it is asbestos free? I will send Newell a query on that.

I am reasonably certain the union placed near the AquaHot transition through the floor will never be able to be turned open just due to the corrosion and rust evident from years of service. A reciprocating saw should handle that and hopefully I will be able to turn the threads loose to put in new pipe. One of those jobs that once you make the first cut you are kind of committed.

More later..... Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

hi russ,

hopefully roger berke will see this and have an answer for us as well.

before roger rebuilt my webasto unit, the fuel that was getting by leaked out that union you are talking about.

i know there is a little exhaust leak there as well, but it is very small.

but, that material around the exhaust line is strange insulation and it will be nice to know what it is and where to get it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I am not sure from your post what is leaking. Are you leaking exhaust, water, or coolant?

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com

Hi Roger,

The exhaust pipe is failing near the saddle clamp where it starts its run across with width of the coach. It is leaking exhuast gas - smoke near the saddle clamp. I am intersted in renewing that pipe and having it gas tight again. Hope this clears things up. The insulation on the run of pipe appears pretty battered up so I would like to replace that as well - if it is safe to handle. thanks, Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Russ

Exhaust system is 'standard' automotive exhaust pipe. Any muffler shop can make a new exhaust for you. Looks like system in attachment below.

If you make the new exhaust with larger inside diameter, it helps the Aqua-Hot breathe better and makes the exhaust quieter. Current specifications call for 1 3/4" ID, 2" ID would be better.

The exhaust slips over 1 1/2" ID 'black' plumbing pipe nipple. You should be able to leave this pipe in place and just have new pipe built that will slip over it.

The pipe wrap is not required by Aqua-Hot for install. Most coaches do not have any wrapping on them. I am unsure what type of material that was used, however muffler wrap is available if you choose to wrap it again.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

roger, thanks for helping out. its great to get advice from a pro.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Rus, I recently examined my exhaust and found that the heat insulation under the coach was frayed on the bottom side, but I could see no leaks in the area you describe. If the crossover pipe is good, I would research to find a muffler wrap material or specialized epoxy to seal the leak without replacing the entire thing. Just my opinion.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hi Chester,

Thanks! I want to find out, if possible, if there is any asbestos in my insulation before messing around too much down there. I haven't jumped in and broken anything yet, so I appreciate your suggestions. Maybe I can make a repair without replacing the entire run. Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Russ since yours is a '99 I doubt there would be any asbestos. Probably fiberglass or ceramic insulation. Do a search on "wetting agents" (water with soap) to saturate the asbestos before removal. Asbestos would probably be brittle where fiberglass would be more flexible.
A quick call to Newell tomorrow should clear up your question.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Mine looks like fiberglass, not asbestos.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica