You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No brake lights on 1974 Newell

Working on the Newell tonight and noticed we don't have any brake lights.  Both lights are out, bulbs are good, air pressure is good.  The only wires going to the brake pedal/valve is a low air pressure sensor. 

Where is the brake light sensor located?  It's not on the break petal, I can't find it.

Thanks,
Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

If its the same as mine its underneath pass side towards the front  but behind the front axle. Look up near the air tank. Should be orange wires. 

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

In line with the brake lines? Air pressure sensor or a mechanical switch? I'm going to look in the morning.

We're going on a few hundred mile trip a week from today so I hope I can find it tomorrow. Going to Buena Vista Collage in western Iowa to visit one of our daughters.

Thanks,
Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Have fun in Storm Lake...love the beautiful older houses near the lake there!

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Separate fuse somewhere?

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com

Had a similar problem on our '82. If I remember correctly it was a Red/White wire that comes up and goes into the Steering Column. On mine I found that wire had power yet there was nothing at the rear panel, and nothing coming out of the Column, the problem was in the Emergency Flasher and Turn Signal Switch. (when troubleshooting I try to start at the end, then the beginning, then cut the circuit in half and half again until the problem is found).

Here is a what I wrote on another thread; http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...ake+lights

Do you have Front Signals? if the problem is isolated to the rear then yes check the Relays.

When we got our '82 I had no Rear Lights at all, Brake, Turn or Emergency. My problem was with the Combination Turn Signal/Emergency Flasher Switch. The Tail Light Wiring goes through the Switch for the Emergency Flashers and that is where my problem was, when I talked with Newell it was stated that they had problems with this Switch and there was a Replacement available (not sure if they still have it, it is a TRW part)
*****if you need to use this part contact me so that I can send information about the install!! there needs to be a minor adjustment to the Steering Wheel Adapter for clearance!*****

It has been a while since I did this repair but here is something that I found, not sure how accurate this is but it should give you an idea how the circuit works.

I was able to make a temporary repair while waiting for parts. I bypassed the emergency flasher circuit by soldering a jumper wire. If I remember correctly the downside was that the brake lights came on in the front when the emergency flashers were energized.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

We had the same problem with ours.  Brake lights just quit working.  After looking all over the bus and testing everything, we wiggled the emergency flasher switch and the brake lights worked again.

Got it figured out. Bad wire that supplied power to the brake light circuit. Replaced the power in wire and now everything is working.

We went on a 600 mile round trip to visit one of our daughters at collage and everything went great. I added one gallon of oil every 300 miles and she ran like a champ. Burned a little oil but we had a blast.

Now were planning our June trip to Colorado to visit my uncle.

Roy...

(05-01-2015, 05:03 PM)Rjbjfire Wrote:  Got it figured out.  Bad wire that supplied power to the brake light circuit. Replaced the power in wire and now everything is working.  

We went on a 600 mile round trip to visit one of our daughters at collage and everything went great.  I added one gallon of oil every 300 miles and she ran like a champ.  Burned a little oil but we had a blast.  

Now were planning our June trip to Colorado to visit my uncle.  

Roy...

Awesome, now you're cooking with gas!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thats good you found the problem without too much trouble. I had a similar issue with mine, the po had the brake light power wire on the headlight switch so they only worked with the lights on!! Very frustrating!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd