You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Awning mounts

The awning on my coach was attached with large stainless steel sheet metal screws, after 30+ years they were stripping out of the sheet metal.
I was surprised that there was no support behind the upper mounts and only one of the screws on each of the lower mounts had any support behind it.
I took them all out and installed 1/4 x 20 rivet nuts and stainless bolts tonight, really slick and should hold for another 30 years.

How are the awnings attached on the newer coaches?  

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Great job Scott! Sounds like a really clean solution. Can you add a picture or two to make me more jealous?

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I should have taken some photos.....
The only other thing to mention is that I filled the holes with silicone prior to securing the nuts and attaching the awning to ensure everything is sealed.

How is your re-power coming?

I should have new rear end gears by next week, this should be the last major project!  
I'm hoping to get the same kind of performance Keith is seeing with his!

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Good fix Scott, I will try that in mine as well. I was surprised the awnings were attached like that too

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

On our '82 I noticed the pad where the upper arms mount were coming loose. I used a different approach using 3M 5200 (polyurethane adhesive/sealant) and it has held for a couple of years now.
I simply removed the pad and cleaned the area, then used a ball peen hammer to help "repair" the aluminum. Next was to get new stainless steel fasteners that were just a little larger and temporarily mount the pad with only a couple of them so that I could tape off the area. Next I pulled the pad and cleaned the pad and mounting area with acetone then roughed up the pad. I then used the 3M 5200 to bed the pads into place, this stuff takes a few days to cure so you need to use patience prior to reinstalling the arms and using the awning.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en...622&rt=rud

A bit of caution from experience....3M 5200 is intended for more of a permanent installation and not a good to use when it may need to be removed in the future.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch