You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Side Window Shattered

Gang,

Was driving on interstate between Montgomery, AL and Auburn, AL when all of a sudden my drivers window shattered.   I was not in heavy traffic and saw no rocks fly.
The center of the cracking in in bottom third of window about a third in.  There is no hole in the glass.

So my questions are:

1)  What the heck just happened?
2)  What is the repair scenario?  Replace whole window or just the pane?
3)  Since I cannot drive with a shattered window (especially since I cannot see mirror).  Do I knock it out and then put in a piece of plexiglass?
4)  Has this happened to anyone else...or is it my snake-bit ways?

Cheers,
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I would knock it out and temporarily put in clear plastic so that you can safely move it. This should give you time to resolve if safety glass can be cut to fit or must you replace the window. May depend on if it was sealed glass or safety glass.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

i had someone shoot a rock through a side front salon window. i just knocked it out and put a piece of plexiglass till i could get it fixed.

it was not on a newell

i believe you can get penninsula glass (who i think made your windows i suspect) to send you a new pane.

changing that entire window is a pain because of the the drivers dash console

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill, I had the same thing happen on an 07 I owned.  A pick-up pulling a trailer went by and I heard something, but didn't pay much attention to it.  At the end of the day when I stopped, one of my side windows was shattered but still in place.  It was a double pane window so I just clear taped it. It stayed that way until I got it replaced. It looked like a jig saw puzzle.
My inside pane was not broken. Are both yours broken?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks Chappel! Whatever happened to me was all of a sudden. Big "pop" sound and the entire window was instantly shattered.

Have not a clue as to how it happened. No cars or trailers nearby.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Sounds like maybe a momentary frame twist or tweek. Like a shock absorber stuck for a split second or a spring is old and just starting to compress, if you cannot find an impact point.

Or maybe it was the seal between the 2 panes went bad and one pane shifted a little and caused a void between the 2 to create a vulnerable spot ???

Maybe somebody thought you were a Republican ?

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I was riding on smooth road and there is a clear impact spot but it is not on edge. The center of the cracking is smooth and there is no hole in the glass.

Marc thinks the fact that I have a sniper ex-girlfriend may have something to do with it. I said naw...but he said I should invest in body armor.

I am going to try to find just the glass panel to avoid having to pull the dash apart to get the window out.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If you had an impact point then my guess it was a bird that hit you. I have hit a dozen or so birds through the years and they can make holes in fiberglass if they hit hard enough.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I'm thinking sniper rifle from a long distance.  Due to the distance of the shot involved. The relative humidity and ambient temperature couple with the angle created a nick that due to the high rate of deflection shattered the glass.
What we really need to analyze is the reason behind the shot.  I'm betting a former disgruntled lover who was not invited on the road trip coupled with high amount of jealousy directed towards Baxter and Ro. This created feeling of inadequacy and cause the person to realize the quality of physical attention they had been receiving was about to drop to an inadequate level to support the continued amount of emotion attachment.

In reviewing the video from Bills dash cam I did find the following.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

(05-10-2015, 10:55 AM)lbrachfe Wrote:  If you had an impact point then my guess it was a bird that hit you. I have hit a dozen or so birds through the years and they can make holes in fiberglass if they hit hard enough.

I don't think a bird would have missed the mirror and still been able to hit the glass . As he was traveling at highway speeds.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701