You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1968 Newell Purchase

Hello,

My wife and I decided to buy a motorhome to travel around next winter with our one year old daughter to escape the Minnesota weather.  Among other things, we were inspired by the blog bumfuzzle.com.  We found a 1968 30' Newell on Craigslist two weeks ago, and it's now sitting in our driveway, undergoing a light renovation.  After tearing out the carpet I found some rotten spots in the floor I was unaware of before purchasing it (a classic tale I suppose for many first-time RV buyers), so I'm working to fix those and I resealed a bunch of things on the roof to make sure the leak is fixed.

Before finding our 1968 on Craigslist, neither of us had ever heard of Newell.  It's been fun researching the company and learning that somewhat unknowingly we bought what I would call a cool piece of history.  It's apparent that even in the early days of the company they used high quality materials and craftsmanship.  We are planning to keep the cabinetry original, as it is still in remarkably good shape for its age.  The previous owner, who had it since 1990, changed out the gas engine for an 8.2L Detroit diesel engine in 1996.

I see everyone is to put the number of their coach in their signature.  How would I go about figuring out what number my 1968 is?  

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ryan
1968 30' Newell
Number ??

Very nice Classic.. Welcome !!!! We'll be very interested to hear more about it.. If you need advice, you've found the right place..

Jimmy

Thanks! And as for an update to finding my coach number, I just went through Michael Day's history slides and discovered my number might not be easy to determine. My guess would be it's in the low double digits but hard to say!

Ryan
1968 30' Newell
Number ??

So very cool looking forward to lots of pictures

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Welcome Ryan!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Nice looking Classic indeed!! As far as the number goes you won't be able to find one, Newell did not go to the current numbering until '83 or so. Don't feel alone I just state before number 1!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Very cool to see another early 'Classic' in loving hands....looking forward to pictures of the interior......

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Newell Craftsmanship lasts forever

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Welcome Ryan.  Great looking 1968.  For my information, there were only 10 Newells built in 1968.  L.K. Newell only started using the Newell name on his coaches in 1967 and purchasing Streamline Travel Homes in 1966 so you have a VERY unusual piece of history.

The standard engine in 1967 was a 330 Ford with options of a 391 Ford, 401  Ford, 460 Lincoln or a 534 Ford.  Any idea which engine your originally had?  Do you know which transmission is in it and if it is the original?

If you could provide me the Serial Number I would appreciate it.  If you would prefer to not publish it, send me a Private Message.

As Tom said, more pictures!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

You are correct that there is no Coach # for your coach. Newell didn't begin their numbering system until 1983 at which time there were 383 already built.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com