You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Blocking the front of coach

I have a long weekend and finally have a place where I can get underneath the coach and do some searching for leaks etc...I was looking for a good place to place a couple of blocks and I saw a cross member behind the axle. Is that  the closest place to the front? What location do you all block? Any guidance would be appreciated.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Wish I could help with a good location. I raise the coach with the leveling system and then pick a place on the frame that has reinforcing. If you need more room you can also drive on some blocks first.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I would drive on blocks or ramps Bill. It's safest IMO

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

That's what I was thinking too Larry. A couple of inches and raise the coach should give me enough clearance. 

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

Bill, I would not get under the front of the coach without some blocking. If the air system were to go the coach could drop all the way down on the suspension so it you can't get under it with the air suspension all the way down, it isn't safe. Driving up on blocks is a very good idea but if you need to still raise it on the suspension to get under it, you are still in danger.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I was able to get my rig on wooden ramps made from 2X10's. The garage that let me use them fabricated them.

Simple design of 8 pieces lag bolted together with the longest being about 4 ft and the each one was 2 inches less or so if I recall. They moved them around with a cheap hand truck and a bungee. They were perfect for me and I did NOT have my coach raised... I had it all the way DOWN in front as I knew someone who had what Michael described happen to him under his Prevost, with no blocking or on ramps. I was thinking about it for 5 minutes while doing the work and then never bothered me again and I saved big $ doing the work myself.

So in that they would be simple to make or borrow if you have a big equipment yard or truck garage nearby. Most have fabricated something even if they don't use them......

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

larry, did you use 4 of them or just 2?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

4 of them. Was offered 6 ,but thought it more work than needed and 4 were fine The boards were sandwiched really well and had a lot of use. The bottoms had sheet metal skid plates  that wrapped the sides up a couple of inches. Recessed lag bolts every 6 - 8 inches. They were very heavy But the $20 hand truck and a bungee made them easy for anyone to move around. You would have room too as there was plenty of space for me to access headlights and Howard Power Steering ram that needs cleaning and zerk filling once a year.I also made sure my tires were inflated to the max for this to get a little more height, but ended up with plenty of clearance (about 12 inches is what I measured and remember this well as the first time was scary) and plenty of arm room too.

Off and On was easy peasy with a good director!

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

(05-22-2015, 09:56 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Bill, I would not get under the front of the coach without some blocking.  If the air system were to go the coach could drop all the way down on the suspension so it you can't get under it with the air suspension all the way down, it isn't safe.  Driving up on blocks is a very good idea but if you need to still raise it on the suspension to get under it, you are still in danger.

Michael, I will definitely block it too...I'm way to chicken & fat to take any chances with the air holding the coach... Thanks for the suggestions and ideas gents.

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

doug asked me to upload these ramp pictures.  they are what parliment coach uses.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH