You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH system will not go into Travel Mode (fixed)

Today was my turn for a head scratcher. I could not get the HWH system to go into level mode. The travel solenoids would not energize. I set the ride heights manually with the leveling pad and drove for a while. At the rest stop I thought I would do a little troubleshooting while taking a break from driving. I checked every fuse I could find with none found open. Not really understanding the system, I thought maybe it was connected to the slide out not locking since my leveling light and emergency brake light has been on for a year. So I deployed the slide. BIG MISTAKE !!!!!!!!  There is a very good reason to only deploy in travel mode. The coach was torqued and it racked the slide. I couldn't get it back in without one upper corner being over an inch out of flush. 

I tried a couple of times to untorque the chassis with the manual leveling but no dice. 

So, I made a jumper wire with a switch and I hot wired one of the travel solenoids to 12V. They are all tied together so that forced the coach into travel mode kind of. When the coach was leveled, I cycled the slide several times and it squared itself. 

When we stopped for the evening. I went hunting for a miracle. Since I had the hot wire to the travel solenoids, I measured terminal 75 on the HWH board. It now has 12v, so that told me the problem was not downstream of the HWH brain box. There is a fuse on the back the leveling board that I has previously checked visually but with more time I thought I would ohm all the fuses. When I moved the board to access the fuse, the travel solenoids clicked on, and the LEDs for travel lit up. Hmmm, maybe a loose connection. 

Here are pics of what I found. A burned connection and a bad solder joint on the board for that particular connection. It is the 12v supply to the solenoids. I don't know which came first the bad connection which melted the solder joint, or vice versa.

Anyhoo, I resoldered the joint, and cleaned the connector. All seems to be good now. 

A blind pig occasionally finds an acorn. 

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

you are da man.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

just so you dont think yourself as too daft for putting the slide out when not in travel mode.....a few days ago i was driving and for some reason i thought the bode air door wasnt closed. i didnt want to have problems with it so i pulled over to the side of the road. it was not very level putting it mildly. i opened the door and then closed it. the door was no where near closing but only because the coach was torqued. i panicked thinking the door was bent, but i pulled the coach back up on the road, open and closed it and all was well.

note to self. do not open door when on a steep shoulder....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Richard that was too easy. You didn't get nearly dirty enough.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Good catch Richard. That could have been, to those who depend on a private mechanic for everything, a bill for 8+ hours of troubleshooting. Electrical gremlins are elusive. Only thing that would have been worse than a hidden bad solder joint is if it were intermittent.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Seems like a "Blind Pig" found a truffle !

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

One thing that help finding poor connections are the thermal IR guns - a bad connection will always be warmer than the surrounding ones.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135