You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bridge weight limits

Near my storage unit where I store our coach there is a two lane road with a bridge about 12' long over a small creek.  I just noticed a sign that says 11 ton weight limit.  Does anyone know if weight limit signs are per axle limit or total vehicle weight limit?  Or is it neither and a weight limit that the bridge "sees" such as both rear axles on bridge at the same time but not front axle as it would be off the bridge by the time the rear axles cross?   

A 300' bridge with weight limit sign seems like it would be total vehicle weight limit vs a small bridge that doesn't accompdate all axles.  

I have incidentally driven over the bridge a few times with no issue but now that I've noticed the sign I'm concerned a little.  

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Since a 12' bridge can not accommodate both the front and drive axles at the same time, the sum of your drive axle plus your tag axle would be relevant to the bridge load rating. However, just your drive axle weighs more than the 22,000 pound limit on the bridge. That is a bridge that should be avoided with any tag axle Newell.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael.

I have an app that shows clearance issues and heights but not weight limit issues. Do you know of something that could help me? I live in an area with creeks and little bridges like this on two lane roads. This particular one was unavoidable as I could not turn around.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I would bet that the rating for the bridge is double that because it has a sign that has the same limit for a vehicle going the other way too. What would happen if 2 vehicles traveling in opposite directions crossed the bridge at the same time. It would have to be able to support both at the same time.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc that is one of the most intelligent observations I've seen from you! Smile) Smile)

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

(06-04-2015, 09:21 PM).Junior Guru Wrote:  Thanks Michael.  

I have an app that shows clearance issues and heights but not weight limit issues.  Do you know of something that could help me?  I live in an area with creeks and little bridges like this on two lane roads. This particular one was unavoidable as I could not turn around.

Some of us have the Garman GPS for Trucks and RVs.   You put the height, weight, length and # of axles. It won't route you thru those areas..  And if you do.. It provides plenty of warning.... 

Jimmy

I have both the Garmin and the Rand McNally RV Gps units and came a cross a couple of those types of bridges while traveling from Newell to fl. The only weight sign was right at the bridge and no way to stop. I just puckered and went over. All was well. Neither of the gps units gave a warning. My wife asked as Marc pointed out what if a vehicle le was coming the other way. I do not know the specifics on that detail nor would I want to find out the hard way. When going 50 or so and the only sign is right at the bridge how does one stop and turnaround?

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

I have always thought that the bridge weight ratings were way under rated . Crossing with a moderately overweight would not cause immediate failure but may contribute to shortening the life of the bridge. Damage could be reduced by reducing speed. However the deplorable condition of bridge structures (much of it caused by weathering) in some areas is a matter of concern.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Exactly Doug. This bridges sign was not only right by the bridge it was blocked by overgrown grass. No way to stop by the time you are able to read it. But even if I were able to stop, it would have been impossible to turn around the other direction as the road was narrow with no shoulder. This is why knowing this ahead of time to avoid these routes altogether would be very valuable.

Jason 
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

There is a posting on Prevost comunity by an engineer that stats going over these type bridges slowly is better. It does not add up to me but I am not a structural engineer. Anyone out there can make this understandable by U.S. Common folk,

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex