You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fan failure

Any ideas?  pic 1222 has 2 pieces of hose from Primus reservoir and chunk of fan that was on battery cover.  The tires shred road debris on right side is what I picked up on highway as I was driving up to S&S.  The guy there told me he thought maybe I had sucked up some road debris to cause failure.  I picked up shreds for illustrative purposes.  1223 is remaining hose on side of shroud. 1224 is empty bracket below remaining hose. 1227 note markings in dust on shroud. 1224a worst of blade damage.  Any thoughts on the forensics?  When I got coach back from El Paso there was a concern mentioned by manager about this very hose.  It was supposed to have been secured.  Any thoughts on fair settlement of costs?

Clint on my 93 there was an expanded metal grating piece covering the entire bottom of the engine area. I suppose it was to prevent road debris from being slung up into the engine and radiator. Does yours have this? It might have been something a previous owner added.
Maybe Jon can post pictures or dimensions?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

My 87 also had grating under the engine.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

my 90 had it as well

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It looks to me as though the clamps that presumably held the hose are dirty inside, not what I would have expected if the hose was jerked from them as indicated by the scrape marks on the fan housing.

Given that the hose still remained on board I would have expected any tire shreds picked up would also remain so I'm doubtful they caused your fan blade failure.

I would be looking at the both the hose and the fan blade for evidence of material transfer between them - too much time watching CSI. If the fan cut through the hose and broke in the process there should be something on the two of them to indicate that is the case.

My guess is that someone didn't properly secure the hose and it went walk-about until it hit the fan so to speak.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

No grating on underside.