You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Broken drivetrain.

LWas getting on the interstate about 1/2 mile from the house when I heard bang crash ..the drive train let go.. Was on the on ramp at approximately 5 mph.. U joint and yoke that connects to tranny let go dropped drive shaft.. At that speed didn't do any additional damage. Unhooked stacker drug it back home. Waiting on a tow truck to tow me. Called blue sky insurance asked where I needed towed to I said about 300 yards to the ken worth diesel shop.  Guy said no problem your tow insurance is good for 1500$. Here is the good part. I had an appointment at Newell Monday morni g already to get the u joints and other stuff looked at..  Gave the insurance company Newells address said I really rather be towed there. Guy just called me back said that is 152 miles and would be covered fully under your towing coverage.. Tow truck on the way from Joplin right now to van Buren ark to get me.. Don't even have to burn the fuel to get Newell.. Lol

Love Blue Sky..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Sounds bad on one hand and good on the other I suppose. Hopefully you can make it to your concert festival next weekend with your coach. I'm still hoping and waiting for my money for the cancelled festival. I knew I should have waited to buy my tickets!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Marc, you remind me of an episode I had years ago with my '78 Newell. I was in Jackson Michigan when the drive shaft broke when I attempted to accelerate from a traffic light. It was around 10 pm. I then realized why the PO had a complete driveshaft wrapped up in a gunny-sack in one of the bays!!! This young guy stopped with a wore out 1/2 ton 6 cylinder Chevy pick up and volunteered to pull me off the road into a mall parking lot nearby. I had my doubts but he got the job done and wouldn't take the cash I offered him!! I think he just wanted to see if he could do it. The Newell had Big Foot hydraulic jacks on it so I raised it up and changed it. It took about an hour....
Later I had the broken shaft repaired and put it along with the needed wrenches in the storage bay where it rested for the next 6 years that I owned it.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Ł

Marc Newman

Actually feel very lucky had it happened at speed or downshifting might have lost air and brake lines and everything else.. Sitting on the side of the road, air conditioning , fridge , shower ,sat TV bed and living room.  Breaking down was never so good.. Newell Coach if it breaks enjoy the down time.. 

Marc Newman

Wow. We're you off roading again in the AR mtns with your coach?! Dont you know that's what the Rzr is for

Seriously, Im glad it's not worse and hope you're back on the road quickly.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Definitely not the way to enter Newell

Marc Newman

How much front end damage from the tow that way

How much front end damage from the tow that way ?

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Absolutely none that I know of.. No broken fiberglass or body damage.. Left engine running to keep air in suspension.. May have auxiliary air line Plummer in for pancake compressor. Was afraid the 120 compressor couldn't keep up with air need

Marc Newman

Good for you Marc.. Surprised the tow truck didn't have an air line to hook up to you for the suspension, but you made it without incident.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border