You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide Rattle Question

I am not sure where to put slide specific questions but here goes....

On my 2003, I have slides made by Valid, corp. They are powered by electric motors vs. the HWW slides powered by hydraulics. (This is really not the point of the question...)

In previous discussions there has been talk about locking pins and rattles associated with the pins. I am wondering...Is this true of Valid slides as well? I have had trouble finding rattles right behind the driver. I have two different noises. One is a loud springy sound kinda like a coil of steel. (think this is the curtain and was much improved by adjusting the curtain tension). The other is more of a clunk noise. I wonder if this is play in the bearings or the locking mechanism.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

hi bill,

sure seems like they would have some way of locking the slide in. when newell replaced the slide locking pin bushings on my slides (the hwh hydraulic) it made the deep clunking sound go away.

it will be interesting to find out what you find out or if anyone here knows.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill,
My coach has the HWH system, but I would be very interested in how Valid locks their rooms in place. When you find out please post.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Gang,

I talked to one of the Newell techs. It turns out there are two different version of the Valid electric powered slides. In 2003 Newell started using the Valid slides and as far as I can tell they are still using them.

The first version that was used in 2003 and maybe in 2004 had holes in the bottom and that look like holes for pins. Later version do not have holes and have a fore and aft zipper looking slots in the bottom in addition to the diagonal slots.

The way that the tech explained it is there is a z shaped bar with a flat part on both ends. Then the bar is pulled in or pushed out it uses the angled part of the "z". When it gets to the flat part it engages the flat part and this is what locks the slide in place.

So on Valid slides in the 2003 2004 vintage, there are no locking pins. Any clunk noises when traveling are most likely bearings or some such.

In case you have this vintage there is one more peculiarity. On the front and back of each slide, there is a flexible metal curtain. This curtain makes a really distinctive coiled metal spring noise if it is not tensioned correctly. Newell adjusted the curtain on my front drives side slide...and the noise is greatly reduced although not eliminated. WARNING...this is not a DIY kinda thing. The spring is under quite a bit of tension and can be dangerous to work on. Think garage door tensioner.

So no locking pins and no bushings.

Cheers,bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
Thanks for the info. Very informative. Next time I'm at Newell I'll look for a Valid slide being worked on.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

hi steve,

did the slide bushings reduce any noise in the coach when you were on the road?

tom

Tom,
When I read your question I had to ask Suzy if she heard any slide noise like we used to hear. Her reply was the same as mine---it was so quiet that we didn't even notice. We will make an effort to listen today. Now that is amazing considering it totally bugged me how noisey it was before.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

We listened for any sounds coming from the slide.

Tom,
KISSES!!!

Suzy........................

Need I say any more. Now I'm looking for the squeaks in the entertainment center. Couldn't hear those before.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

suzy, so glad it is better.

we were amazed at the difference too.

i found a number of other noises after that. still have some to go.

the hinges on my overhead entertainment center doors were squeaking and after adjusting it stopped.

i also had a squeak on the window trim ring on both front salon windows. i removed it and put some black tape on the back and screwed it back up and it stopped. (i still have one left to do)

tom

Tom,
Not sure how you adjust those hinges. Description? Photo?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531