You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Overheating concerns for 8V92 - need advice

Jon may be able to remove the oil pan, disconnect the con rod of the seized cylinder(s), and turn the crank to access the torque converter bolts . Just a thought before pulling the heads and pushing out a liner.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The engine is pretty much a boat anchor anyway, if those rods are still in the way you could cut them out of the way with a torch.
Maybe one of the local rednecks could stop over and help out, cold beer works wonders!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Might be able to get a grand or so out of the engine from a re-builder as cores. Try calling PC Industries in Afton, WY. Even $500.00 is better than nothing.

Update on things. I just spoke with Jon and while he was working on separating the transmission and engine he realized there was a distinct potential for the engine to fall off the the stand. Given the opportunity for loss of life or limb her made the wise choice to call the local Detroit Diesel garage to arrange to have the engine moved to them to be seperated. So we hope to have this done in the next couple of days with any luck and the shipper would pick up there and get out to Belgrade. Jon mentioned he would update as well with pics and either he or I will update once we have more definitive dates etc.

So hopefully I will be out to receive the coach the end of next week with any luck.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

An interesting development today. I spoke with Jon and he had contacted a local diesel shop about separating the tranny from the engine. They told him it would be at least 8 hours at $100 per hour. Then they told him they have a rebuilt HT740 on a pallet in their garage right now that is a clients who they did not believe has a use for it any longer. So Jon is contacting him to see if he would sell it and for how much.

I called the garage where the coach is and updated them. I asked them to also source for a transmission in case I need to go to plan B. They are getting me a price from a dealer that is 4 days out and sells them rebuilt transmissions with 3 year warranty. Should have a price on that tomorrow so hopefully tomorrow we will know definitely what we are doing so I can make my travel plans for the 30th or 21st of this month.

Now prior to this I called my local garage and asked what the hours would be to drop and install a transmission so I knew that going in. They gave me heart failure saying that although they were not sure they said the entire engine might have to pulled in order to have the room to remove the transmission. They could not recall how much room was down there. So then I called the shop in Montana and the service manager assured me there is enough room to drop it without removing the engine. He said he thought with 2 full days and no issues they could remove the dead one, install the new one and get things set. That's my update in case you all have been wondering what's been happening.

Keeps your fingers crossed for us !!

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd just sent you a pm

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Update for the thread, salvage company came and picked up the motor and transmission. They're going to try to get the transmission separated yet today so they can get it on a pallet and shipped to Montana in the morning.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I really think that Jon may miss our daily conversations! Very happy to be moving forward. With any luck I hope to pick it up in a week so we can go camping with some family. It's been planned all summer so crossing our fingers the transmission will transplant without any issues. I called Mike at Newell this week. He said he worked on my coach as well as Jon's and said Jon's should work with no issues as far as he was concerned.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Jon and hope to get the guys to separate and ship the transmission on Monday. It's good to have a goal. Assuming that works then the transmission should arrive in Montana on Wednesday. I have a call into the shop to make sure they can get right on the installation. If all goes well then I hope to fly out next week Monday to drive back and make our last family camping trip before school starts.

Beyond wanting to spend more than the one day this year in the coach that we have logged already I also have other alterior motives. Each week we find ourselves looking for things and then realizing "oh yeah we left that in the coach". Like my favorite coffee travel mug (it's a thing with me) and basically all of my tools so I can actually work on things at home!

I have asked the garage to also wash off the radiator since I think it's pretty dirty. As suggested I will also have them make sure the old transmission has not coolant in it. When I have mentioned this to them before they agree to do but seem convinced that had nothing to do with the failure.

So guys anything else you would suggest I be aware of or have them do or look at?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd, this is not related to the tranny per se, but you have certainly had your challenges putting a vintage coach back to roadworthy status. It must be frustrating, and concerning to the CFO.

Whether its this shop or one closer to home, I would suggest you look at all things rubber. They deteriorate with time. Rubber items like air bags, coolant and hydraulic hoses, and belts are serviceable items that could leave you on the side of the road.

In addition, during the winter, I might take the time to go through the coach compartment by compartment checking and tightening EVERY electrical connection both 12 and 120v.

At this point with new engine and tranny, you are in for a penny in for a pound. Others may have ideas about what they would do to minimize future trip interruptions with an older coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )