You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Overheating concerns for 8V92 - need advice

Good news Todd, best of luck!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Good news Todd! Yes I did see what you did there.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Made to Bozeman. My flight from Sioux Falls was over sold by one. Me. However, the manager for United walked up and said she checked the last person in and told them to head straight for the gate. This person ignored her and went shopping in the gift shop. So as soon as it was 15 minutes before flight they bumped her and gave me her seat. Lucky guy huh!

Garage called today and said that everything checked out. They broke the sensor probe taking it out of my transmission but my digi panel still reads so I have that to monitor tranny temp. They also said my chassis batteries must be bad because they have to put the charger on to start it each time. Seems almost impossible since I replaced one of them 2 months ago. Bet they have the merge switch on or sow thing easy so I told them don't do anything until I get there in the AM.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Picking up the coach now. Took it for a test drive and it all seems to be good. Will drive to Billings for lunch and join a work conference call. I should know by then if there are going to be any issues.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Very good. What about the dead batteries?

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Glad to hear your back on the road Todd, hopefully you can get some enjoyment out of it before the season is over

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Made it 7 hours to my folks with no issues.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Great news! We know how it can take a few trips to regain confidence in your coach for sure!

I did a search for engine temp gauges here in the forum, and landed on this page. Imagine my surprise when i was looking at a photo of the Newell classic gauge in guestion, and it was our coach, complete with red tape over the 190 area. We aborted a trip early this summer over highway 17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Got about 30 miles up and I was past the " red line." Highway 17 is 2 lanes each way with some brutal grades, and very very few pull outs. We went back down the hill and took 10 east, and as they say, lived to fight another day. Todd had told me all of the facts in this thread before we purchased his coach , so kudos to Flick for being the most straight up guy ever!! I now understand if I am going to limit my driving to 190 degrees or less engine temp, I might be having to about more trips in the future. I also have never removed that red tape, but I guess it is about timeSmile The digi panel still reads 10 to 15 degree lower than the analog gauge. It could be that I am beginning to panic at 175-180 not 190... BTW, still need advise if any of you have ever lifted up the driver control panel in a "classic. Something is restricting the lift, be it spedo cable, tach cable etc.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy I never shook that paranoia in spite of a number of guys trying to help me cautious as opposed to paranoid. I guess once you write a huge check for a rebuild you never want to have to write another and overheating was a sure way to have to do just that. I installed the digit just to be sure about my gauges but that red tap an analogue gauge is hard to just ignore so I was likely always over cautious. Tom, Richard and Vlarke were always good for hill climbing advice.

Guy I don't follow your driver panel question what are you referring to?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia