You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

WINTERIZING

Yup we are considering a stay in the north east this year and if so will have to winterize the coach. I will be using the solar system including the batteries to provide power to the house we might be staying in so don't need to disconnect the batteries.
I figure so far the only thing I need to consider is the water system which I plan on flushing and replacing with rv anti freeze and pump through both water pumps and through the entire water system including toilet faucets and sink drains. Also plan on flushing out the holding tank and put a few gallons of anti freeze in it just to keep the gate valve wet. 
Plan on putting the tires on wood planks and draining the air system and treating the fuel and keep a full tank. 
Also prepping for mice.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. 

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

If your Newell doesn't have a water heater bypass I would install one.
http://www.rverscorner.com/bypass.html

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

So I figured I would drain the fresh water tank and add a few gallons of rv anti freeze and tilt the coach to the tanks outlet and for the hot water tank after opening the drain on the bottom of the tank run the pump till I see some anti freezefreeze come out the close the valve at the fresh water tank and the hot water tank. Wouldn' t this do?

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I agree that it is preferable to drain the water heater and keep the antifreeze out of it. It can be difficult to get all the antifreeze out of the water heater again and with a bypass and drained, you will not have any issues. I used that technique in my RV's pre-Newell. The Newell I have kept plugged in and kept the wet bay warm with heaters so I have not had to ever use antifreeze in it.

Although use of RV antifreeze will, in theory, not hurt you, it does mess up the taste of the water until it is ALL flushed out of the system and I have found that the water heater doesn't flush out as well as the rest of the system.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Definitely food for thought. Thanks guys

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

don't forget the icemaker and the windshield washer reserve if it has just water in it.

No ice maker. Good reminder about the windshield
Fluid. Thanks

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Your solar panels might not have alot of power output in the winter, if they're laying flat on your roof you will have to keep the snow off.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

We are now sure we will be staying in the north east this winter as caretakers of an off grid property.

The solar loss can be from 40% to as much as 60% depending on how cold the temps are according to Lifeline. I have 2 new chassis and 2 new starting batteries which I will have merged all the time which give me more than adequate power as long as I watch the battery monitor and make sure I don't go below 12.2 volts and that they are able to get topped off almost daily. The panels will be tilted almost straight up being up her in the north east, will probably spray with wax to help the snow slide off.
The efficiency loss is only temporary as long as the batteries are cold as the day warms them up they should improve.
Will be an adventure for sure.
Brad

Ok guys, what about blowing out the water lines as an alternative to pumping antifreeze through them.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad, You mentioned waxing the solar panels. I was just thinking of using RainX. It really works well on my windows. I rarely use my windshield wipers when I have a new coat of RainX on it.
As far as blowing out water lines...I have done it successfully on travel trailers but the plumbing in your Newell is more complicated..It only takes one low spot that is completely filled with water to freeze and burst...Usually those low spots are behind the cupboards!!. I have always used RV antifreeze in my Newells with the water heater bypass and have never had a problem.
Also, If your panels are fixed flat on the roof I wonder if there would be benefit to constructing a reflective "wall" right beside them along the north side of the panel to reflect more solar onto the panel.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.